Cleaning a slate roof.

Haille

Registered User
Messages
375
Looking for suggestions for cleaning a slate roof. I made the mistake 18 years ago of power washing slate roof.it was too severe.Looking for suggestions from anyone who has soft cleaned a slate roof. Is it worth it to buy a telescopic pole and try it oneself or pay someone to do it?
 
Is it worth it to buy a telescopic pole and try it oneself

When I try to use a telescopic cleaning pole to clean two windows on roof it does not work well because enough pressure cannot be applied. Works no bother on windows everywhere else. Would seem similar situation to me. You might well be wasting your money.

How exactly does one soft clean a slate roof?
 
I did a reasonable job once getting the moss off with two lengths of broomstick connected together with duct tape and a paint scraper on the end. Wouldn't recommend it though.
 
I did a reasonable job once getting the moss off with two lengths of broomstick connected together with duct tape and a paint scraper on the end.

Would that not just fall down into the gutters and then block them and therefore causing more work/problems?
 
Would that not just fall down into the gutters and then block them and therefore causing more work/problems?
Indeed it did, so I then cleaned the gutters. Actually I have a net thing which clips onto the gutters to keep out the leaves, so only the dust went into the gutter, not the big stuff. But there was a significant clean-up. The whole task wasn't easy but the weather was nice on that day, and the only other option was getting someone out.
 
get a professional in to do it. They know what they are doing. They have insurance. I had mine done recently. All moss removed. Roof treated. Gutters cleared. Not cheap but well worth it. Roof spotless
 
Purchased Wet and Forget over the weekend, going to put it on kitchen roof and see how it goes, if it works well will get somebody in to spray it on the roof for us. I will do an update with before and after pics.
 
Purchased Wet and Forget over the weekend
Brilliant stuff - I use similar (actiwash) for paths. Never need power washing these days. Also use it to get marks off exterior walls and have used it on slate after removing moss. Can takes 3-4 weeks before you notice a big change in appearance

For roof cleaning, solar cleaning and gutter cleaning a combination of https://www.amazon.ie/GARDENA-03651-20-System-Cleaner-47-6x15x5/dp/B076X8ZH89/?th=1 and https://high-clean.com/en/products/...-with-five-sided-brush?variant=57795738173789 (9m probably required for 2 story house - 7.2m for bungalow)
 
gutter cleaning a combination
I love cleaning gutters, if I could get up and the ones at the top of the house myself I would but I am limited to the lower level.
It's shocking the amount of people who never clean them! Defo going to look at that attachment!
 
On the gutter cleaning I have a bog fern in the gutter. There is no gutter gunk blockage or soil as I check before for this. It seems to be hanging off the tiles on either side of the gutter.

Its really hard to reach but I was thinking of ordering a standard gutter cleaning pole and between that and the ladder I should get to the fern.

I plan to attach a towel dosed in weed killer to the end of the cleaning pole and mop it up and down on the fern when the weather is going to be dry?

Not sure if anyone has done something like this / I think it might be the best way to deal with it on my own.
not sure what ye think?
 
Back
Top