Clawback Affordable Housing - upgrade works allowance

gsp119

Hi All

Has anyone ever heard of a reduction in claw back figure , for works carried out on a affordable house. New energy efficient boiler, windows, insulation etc..

I taught seen something about it one time, but I could be wrong

Or just hoping maybe !

Appreciate any input

Tks
J

Hi All

Has anyone ever heard of a reduction in claw back figure , for works carried out on a affordable house. New energy efficient boiler, windows, insulation etc..

I taught seen something about it one time, but I could be wrong

Or just hoping maybe !

Appreciate any input

Tks
J

Hello

There is provision for 'material improvements' to be discounted but these are defined as and restricted to 'extending, enlarging, repairing and converting' the property.

Check the legislation at
Housing Miscellaneous Provisions Act 2002 Section 9 (3) e (i) and (ii).

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,
Can some tell me if the doors that had to be replaced can be deducted from the sale price before the clawback is calculated between the council and the seller?
Also, does the seller have to pay the solicitors and auctioneers fees out of their pocket or can this be paid out of the sales proceeds before the clawback is calculated?
Thanks for your help, vicky

Hi Guys, do you own properties on the AH scheme part V from the boom years? How far into your contract are you? I bought mine in 2008 & the contract is killing me

there I'm wondering can anyone help I've googled and googled but just hitting brick walls...I'm in the process of selling my Affordable Home after 14 years I know how the calculation works...I'm selling after nearly 2 years of intimidation and harassment from the house attached I never wanted to sell but am left with no choice...I've invested alot of money in to my home and had a valuation of works done to try and hold on to some of the claw back...I'll not b making any profit but just need enough to buy something else I will still need to top up my mortgage with current house prices....I have discovered the house attached to me is also affordable although the Council told me it isn't...my question is do I have a case to fight my money invested against the claw back because of my situation and the fact if this family weren't beside me causing me to be in a living hell I wouldn't have to move my life....I've invested because this was my home but it's not any more feel like I'm living in a prison....any advice would be welcomed .

I'm back again with figures...sale price 191000 32k of improvement works in the house 14 years can someone please advise me of what I will be left with...bought the house for 125k at the time was valued at 225k

Hi everyone, has anyone recently sold an affordable house and managed to get an upgrade works allowance towards your clawback?

We are thinking of selling our affordable house and wonder if anyone could share their experience.

We built an extension back in 2011, replaced all the windows, doors, kitchen, bathrooms, changed the layout, done the garden.

After getting in touch with SDCC we have been told that new bathrooms, kitchen , windows and doors would not be deductible.

The legislation allows for extending or enlarging the property to be allowed for when calculation the clawback. So it’s basically, an extension or attic conversation.

We have invested a lot in the house and feeling that it’s a bit unfair they are not taking, for example windows into account.

They also say that receipts and bank statements would be required in order to calculate the cost of the enlargement or extension. Unfortunately, we don’t have all the receipts 12 years later. Even though, they will be carrying out an evaluation for 150€ they still need those receipts. A bit pointless.

Furthermore, the current value of the improvements has increased compared to 12 years back but It seems it’s just the cost of the improvements at the time.

If you could share your experience- it would be much appreciated. Thanks

We have invested a lot in the house and feeling that it’s a bit unfair they are not taking, for example windows into account.
Replacing windows is one of those things that benefits the occupants, but doesn't have much of an impact on house value.

Unfortunately, we don’t have all the receipts 12 years later. Even though, they will be carrying out an evaluation for 150€ they still need those receipts. A bit pointless.
Think about it from their point of view, how do they validate the works and costs without receipts? It would be wide open to abuse.

Think about it from their point of view, how do they validate the works and costs without receipts? It would be wide open to abuse.
It’s simple. If the house next door without extension is valued at 300k and the house with an extension is valued at 350k. The value of the extension is 50 k.
It’s irrelevant how much did it cost to build 12 years ago, it’s important what value it brings to the house now.

It’s simple. If the house next door without extension is valued at 300k and the house with an extension is valued at 350k. The value of the extension is 50 k.
Perhaps, but only if every other aspect of the house including decor, wear and tear, etc., is identical. Superficially similar houses very close to each other can often achieve very different prices.

It’s irrelevant how much did it cost to build 12 years ago, it’s important what value it brings to the house now.
Well, the only thing that is really relevant is what the LA say, which is guided by the terms and conditions of the Affordable Homes scheme you benefitted from. If you didn't like the claw-back terms, perhaps you shouldn't have extended.

Back