Claiming UK Pension at 65? How and where?

Ron Lomax

I have searched the forum, but cannot find anything specific to my situation, which changed in 2014 after Ireland increased the retirement age.
I am a UK citizen, with 30 plus years of contributions in the UK. I came to Ireland permanently in 2002, and was employed continuously until an accident at the end of 2009. From then, I have been getting Disability Allowance and credited contributions. I am entitled to a UK state pension at 65, and possibly a partial Irish pension at 66. As far as I am aware, Disability Allowance changes to state pension at 66. My question is when do I claim what from where? Do I claim from the UK at 65? The UK pension no longer allows claiming for dependents, so I assume I would lose some but not all of the Disability Allowance? Or do I claim from Ireland and the UK at 66? I would expect many people to be in this situation, but have yet to find any definitive advice. Can anyone offer any help please?

Hi Ron, phone Newcastle for advise they have an international number in the gov website. Previously, you made your claim for your UK state pension in Ireland but since they upped the age limit in Ireland to aged 66, it basically threw a spanner in the works as the UK state pension is paid at 65..

At the same time as your call ask them in Newcastle to check your National Insurance Record, as it's now 35 years to get the full UK pension. You may be able to buy back years to make up the full sum.

I am in the same boat for next year so do post back and let us know how you got on.

Hi. Thanks for that. I have my pension forecast from the UK and I am entitled to an almost full UK pension, which I assume I can claim from Newcastle rather than Sligo. The main problem I have is how this will impact on my disability allowance, given that my UK pension no longer covers my wife, whereas the DA does. Would I be better advised to defer the UK pension until I am 66, when the DA is automatically transferred to whatever Irish pension I am entitled to? Am I allowed to do this? If I claim UK at 65, and my DA is reduced, would I still qualify for the Household Benefits package? Unfortunately, it's all questions and very few definitive answers.

You can defer your UK pension, that is all I know. Your best bet is to go into citizen information, try and get to speak to someone higher up the chain, the volunteers are good but not for all questions.

Also give these a call, they well up on all social welfare matters.
[broken link removed]

Have you ever considered applying for an Invalidity Pension in Ireland. It is not means tested

Have tried Citizens Advice. They just log into Google !!
Will try INOU.ie on Monday and post their advice. Thanks

Re Invalidity Pension. I will check on Monday - I am not sure that I can change over at this late stage. Thanks

There's no age cut off point mentioned in the rules or form. Only when you come to 66 it will automatically transfer to State Pension.
I would be downloading that Application form Pronto and sending it in even more Pronto. Perhaps it should have been done long ago.
There's only way to find out........Apply

Back