Claiming medical expenses while abroad as a holder of a medical card

F

Funes

Hi all, I got a question regarding claims made abroad. A couple of weeks ago, while I was abroad I had an accident on a bike and knocked out four of my front teeth. The local dentist was treating me and I was wondering would I be able to claim any expenses relating to this. I am a holder of a medical card in Ireland and have proof of all expenses for this case. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I also forgot to mention that I'm a student and depending on my single mum's income.

From hse.ie, FAQs on Medical Cards

You cannot use your Medical Card outside of Ireland. If you are going abroad on a short stay (e.g. on holiday), to a EU/EEA country (excluding the UK) or Switzerland you should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (previously known as an E111 form). Application forms are available from your Local Health Office or online from the EHIC section of this website. European Health Insurance Cards entitle you to urgent healthcare when travelling in the EU.

Hi all, I got a question regarding claims made abroad. A couple of weeks ago, while I was abroad I had an accident on a bike and knocked out four of my front teeth. The local dentist was treating me and I was wondering would I be able to claim any expenses relating to this. I am a holder of a medical card in Ireland and have proof of all expenses for this case. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I doubt it, if you were holidaying outside the EU/Switzerland, then you should have holiday insurance and if inside the EU/CH, then you are the responsibility of the local healthcare system - in which case you should have been in possession of an EU Health Insurance card, which you should have presented to them.

Assuming that it was an EU/CH country, you could try and get the card now and make a claim with the authorities in the country where the accident happened... not much hope, but you never know.

Jim.

Back