Claiming Medical Expenses for Parents

W

Wainsfort

Hi,

I understand that the rules changed (in 2007 I think?) whereby one can now claim medical expenses on behalf of any other person and not just for a relative.

My parents who are both retired incurred hefty enough dental (€5k) and medical bills (circa €2k) last year (2008) that were not covered by their BUPA insurance. I'm looking to see if I can recoup some of this outlay for them. Is it possible for me to claim on their behalf?

I'm assuming the straight answer is no as I didn't pay the actual billls. They did. Is that correct? I pay tax at the marginal rate so would recoup 41% of the amount. What are my options given that I haven't paid the expenses? Can I still make a claim?

Going forward, if I was to pay their bills (and they can me the cash), presumably I could then put in a Med 1 claim every year and recoup 41% of their bills. Is that the case?

Thanks,

Wainsfort

Hi,

I understand that the rules changed (in 2007 I think?) whereby one can now claim medical expenses on behalf of any other person and not just for a relative.

My parents who are both retired incurred hefty enough dental (€5k) and medical bills (circa €2k) last year (2008) that were not covered by their BUPA insurance. I'm looking to see if I can recoup some of this outlay for them. Is it possible for me to claim on their behalf?

I'm assuming the straight answer is no as I didn't pay the actual billls. They did. Is that correct? I pay tax at the marginal rate so would recoup 41% of the amount. What are my options given that I haven't paid the expenses? Can I still make a claim?
If you didn't pay them then I don't see how you can claim tax relief. Not sure if you can reimburse them now after the fact and claim relief though?

[broken link removed]
Going forward, if I was to pay their bills (and they can me the cash), presumably I could then put in a Med 1 claim every year and recoup 41% of their bills. Is that the case?
Yes - except that relief from 2009 onwards is at standard rate (20%) only I'm afraid.

Back