Motor Claiming from your own insurance to repair badly damaged vehicle

dmb

Just looking for some opinions or advice, my friend had an accident on Sunday night which resulted in his car ending up in the ditch and very badly damaged. He has a Full Comprehensive Insurance Policy with Aviva.

He swerved to avoid a Deere and lost control ending up hitting a tree, what happens if he decides to claim from his own insurance? Does he loose his No Claims Bonus?

What is the likelihood they will wright the car off as it is badly damaged.

Are they likely to pay the value the car is insured for or how will they determined its value and what if you don’t agree with their valuation / offer?

Lastly, He has hurt his back, ribs and broken some teeth, Can he claim for injury from his own insurance if he was the driver in a single vehicle accident?

Hi dmb my brother claimed on his insurance for damage done to his car by a pothole . I can't advise on personel injury but i am sure someone else will . Sounds like he had a lucky escape .

If he claims off his own Ins he will lose his NCB unless he has step back cover which means that he could be possibly insured for one accident without losing
his NCB. Need to check with Ins Co or read his policy conditions.

In relation to writing the car off this will depend on the book value of the car and the amount of damage. An assessor will make a judgement on the economics of this. It will essentially boil down to whether it is more economic to repair it or scrap it.

You can get your own assessor if you wish and let him advise you. Generally the Insurance companies assessors are reasonable.

Your friend cannot claim off his own motor Insurance for the injuries describe.

Was it a wild deer or a farmer owned deer?.

Thanks for your quick replies, I don’t think he has step back or bonus protection on his policy, although, I’ve been told that the bonus protection is a pointless add on to your policy as in the event of an accident, the insurance company still records the claim on your record and raise your future premiums.
I always thought that if you were injured your insurance covered this?
No it was a wild Deere I presume, the place is awash with them and they are dangerous on the road at night, lots of accidents involving Deere in the area !..

Funny Ravima. Unfortunately DMB it's a common misconception that your car insurance covers you for injury.. I suppose it's all in the name really. People probably get a little mixed up as if you hit someone else they can claim for their injury.. He probably has very very very small amount of cover for medical expenses if he reads his policy or asks his insurance company.

Back