Health Insurance Claiming for medical expenses abroad from Laya

MarianVM

In Spain recently I attended a reputable German Clinic as I was in a lot of pain and needed attention before flying home four days later.
It was my first visit there so had to list my full history and they did blood tests, an ultrasound and a CT scan.
The invoices I have are in German (they insisted all nationalities accept this) and are very detailed with every procedure and test itemised and costed individually.
My question is ... does anyone have any tips on the best way to complete the form and submit the claim?
It was not an accident just an onset of symptoms that could have happened anywhere.

Hi. I hope you're well recovered. I would phone Laya and explain the situation. Your cover is likely to be limited to the limits of your cover for Irish hospitals unless you have travel insurance, in which case they may ask why you did not contact them on falling ill. Best of luck with them.

Laya will cover treatment abroad for sudden emergencies. So if I were them I would ask why you did not go to the local emergency room. And if you chose to use this clinic they probably would want to know why you did not phone them to check if it was covered.

https://www.layahealthcare.ie/yourbenefits/goingabroad/

In the last two years I had 2 smalll bills in Ireland refused. The first one because the practitioner was not on their list of approved practitioners for that discipline. I am guessing others at the practice were, just not the one I was assigned. And the second time when I was sent for a DEXA scan in a new place, it was not recognised as a business Laya covered, maybe because it was new or maybe because they had sufficient places covered by Laya already. I don’t know.

Your best bet is to phone them.

For what it's worth I incurred some medical expenses in France for GP consultations, blood tests and some other tests and had no problem claiming whatever was covered with VHI a few years ago with the French invoices.

I've had no problems claiming optical benefit from VHI for glasses purchased in Northern Ireland. (VHI covers you for up to 150 every two years under.day to day medical expenses.)

Can't speak for Laya.

Thank you all for your replies, it's good not to feel so alone!
I called Laya as you suggested and they have been most understanding and are processing in line with what my policy would have covered here in Ireland with some suggestions which is fair enough I think.

Laya is great unless you have cancer - they don't cover certain chemotherapy
That seems like a very sweeping statement?
Surely it depends on what specific policy you have?
And all policies from all providers have terms and conditions which customers need to familiarise themselves with to ensure that the cover is appropriate to their needs and risk profile.

If you have a LAYA policy, Clubman - God bless your naiveté if you think they will cover all chemotherapy which is what is clearly meant by "they don't cover certain chemo."

Your surprise is not surprising. We thought we were covered. Our oncologist recommended a particular chemotherapy treatment for my poor hubby - LAYA wouldn't cover it.

Which of LAYA's policies do you believe provides comprehensive cover for modern chemotherapy treatments? I will then happily explain the gap between expectation and reality. Sorry for being so brief - have to dash out now for the evening.

If you have a LAYA policy, Clubman - God bless your naiveté if you think they will cover all chemotherapy which is what is clearly meant by "they don't cover certain chemo."

Your surprise is not surprising. We thought we were covered. Our oncologist recommended a particular chemotherapy treatment for my poor hubby - LAYA wouldn't cover it.

Which of LAYA's policies do you believe provides comprehensive cover for modern chemotherapy treatments? I will then happily explain the gap between expectation and reality. Sorry for being so brief - have to dash out now for the evening.
Could you create a new thread for it?
Seems important enough to warrant it, easier to find in future etc thanks.

I never said that Laya or anybody else covers all chemotherapy treatments. But you said "Laya is great unless you have cancer" which is a very sweeping statement which I doubt stands up to scrutiny in spite of your husband's experience. I am sure that there are some treatments, especially non routine or trial treatments, that Laya and probably others don't cover. You made it sound like they don't cover adequate treatment for any/all cancer patients.

Anyway this link may be of interest to others reading...

And this article may be of relevance here too

Laya Healthcare and IrishLifeHealth say they will continue to accept the guidance of the National Cancer Control Programme (NCCP) and the National Centre for Pharmacoeconomics and the HSE in relation to the approval of new drugs.

Last edited:
Back