Health Insurance Claiming benefits from LAYA

My recent experience with LAYA is similar. I had to phone them and they were asking for letters etc saying a particular treatment was medically necessary etc. This was despite the fact that if they didn't agree to the treatment I would have to spend another five days in hospital at their expense. The response was neither logical, economic or helpful. I finished that call thinking I was dealing with bean counters. Not at all impressed.

I signed up today to Laya and I read that you can claim up to a year after your renewal date. I'm sure it says it in a few places on their website.

"
(c) You should send your claims to us as soon as
possible through the Member App or using
an out-patient claim form. We will not pay for
any benefits unless:
• you submit your receipts to us within
twelve months from the end of your policy
year. If your receipts are not received
within this timeframe, your benefits will
not be paid."
I am looking at my renewal now. ( 10 pages and two booklets by the way)

In a booklet entitled Renewal Check-up, they have 4 categories
Additions
Updates and amendments
Changes
Clarifications

Under clarifications they have
"Clarification of making a claim" with the above wording.

Brendan

I have now had written reply from LAYA. They make no apologies for the delay in authorising my treatment.

I phoned them on 6th January requesting a reply. They said they had written to me in early December and again the end of December. I received neither correspondence. It is unusual in my experience to have post go astray.

They repeated that they responded in a satisfactory and timely manner to authorizing my treatment.
They maintained that the hospital had responsibility to treat me regardless of my ability to pay.
It is a private hospital whose patients are mainly tourists. I can’t imagine how they would function if they treated overseas patients without A guarantee of payment.
Laya consider that in authorising payment at 17.42 pm following my admittance at 3am with chest pain.
In the meantime I had paid €2,000 to the hospital with a promise to pay any additional charges should my health insurance not pay.
At that stage I had phoned my travel insurance and was amazed at their caring and helpful response.

Is it a just and safe policy to delay authorization to pay for necessary treatment until Laya decide that the claim is value for money and eligible for payment.
To me the delay could have cost me my life, I was diagnosed with Heart Failure. The hospital would not admit me until I paid the deposit.
Surely Laya do have an obligation to pay for their members without taking the time for forensic investigations.
I also learned that Laya do not provide repatriation in the event of serious illness but only provide transportation to the nearest suitable hospital!
Interested in how Laya members feel about overseas cover Browtal

I have now had written reply from LAYA. They make no apologies for the delay in authorising my treatment.

I phoned them on 6th January requesting a reply. They said they had written to me in early December and again the end of December. I received neither correspondence. It is unusual in my experience to have post go astray.

They repeated that they responded in a satisfactory and timely manner to authorizing my treatment.
They maintained that the hospital had responsibility to treat me regardless of my ability to pay.
It is a private hospital whose patients are mainly tourists. I can’t imagine how they would function if they treated overseas patients without A guarantee of payment.
Laya consider that in authorising payment at 17.42 pm following my admittance at 3am with chest pain.
In the meantime I had paid €2,000 to the hospital with a promise to pay any additional charges should my health insurance not pay.
At that stage I had phoned my travel insurance and was amazed at their caring and helpful response.

Is it a just and safe policy to delay authorization to pay for necessary treatment until Laya decide that the claim is value for money and eligible for payment.
To me the delay could have cost me my life, I was diagnosed with Heart Failure. The hospital would not admit me until I paid the deposit.
Surely Laya do have an obligation to pay for their members without taking the time for forensic investigations.
I also learned that Laya do not provide repatriation in the event of serious illness but only provide transportation to the nearest suitable hospital!
Interested in how Laya members feel about overseas cover Browtal
Hi Browtal,

Sorry to hear of your poor experience with Laya whilst ill and abroad. This really seems like poor form on their side. I am curious did they swiftly refund you the €2000 deposit you placed down? This seems like a lot of money to expect people have left aside just in case for a hospital deposit and how is anyone supposed to know what would be a sufficient amount, unless you can put it all on a credit card until Laya refund you.

I am shocked that they do not cover repatriation. I know it's recommended to have travel insurance on top of your private health insurance cover but I took a look at company plans terms and conditions with VHI and repatriation is covered. VHI cover it if it is agreed necessary both to Ireland or to the nearest hospital if required treatment is not available in the area you are holidaying in. On top of that they cover up to €1000 for one companion's accommodation costs and €1000 for their transport costs.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between the service of health insurers in Ireland but it's moments like these that seem to put the VHI's not for profit structure out on top. Not to go too far off topic but your experience added to various bits of info over the years like the fact that in recent years it came out that the VHI cover the widest range of cancer drugs and treatments. They also appear to be the only insurer that doesn't charge any excess on chemo/radiotherapy treatments on many plans whereas Laya and Irish Life charge excess for at least the first treatment per set of treatments. They also gave back an additional round of rebate on premiums at the end of 2020 after doing the books which the other insurers did not follow with. Even as a non profit I'm sure they do a lot of bean counting to stay in the green but they appear to have a better assistance for the customer and possibly better cover.

Hi Browtal,

Sorry to hear of your poor experience with Laya whilst ill and abroad. This really seems like poor form on their side. I am curious did they swiftly refund you the €2000 deposit you placed down? This seems like a lot of money to expect people have left aside just in case for a hospital deposit and how is anyone supposed to know what would be a sufficient amount, unless you can put it all on a credit card until Laya refund you.

I am shocked that they do not cover repatriation. I know it's recommended to have travel insurance on top of your private health insurance cover but I took a look at company plans terms and conditions with VHI and repatriation is covered. VHI cover it if it is agreed necessary both to Ireland or to the nearest hospital if required treatment is not available in the area you are holidaying in. On top of that they cover up to €1000 for one companion's accommodation costs and €1000 for their transport costs.

It can be difficult to tell the difference between the service of health insurers in Ireland but it's moments like these that seem to put the VHI's not for profit structure out on top. Not to go too far off topic but your experience added to various bits of info over the years like the fact that in recent years it came out that the VHI cover the widest range of cancer drugs and treatments. They also appear to be the only insurer that doesn't charge any excess on chemo/radiotherapy treatments on many plans whereas Laya and Irish Life charge excess for at least the first treatment per set of treatments. They also gave back an additional round of rebate on premiums at the end of 2020 after doing the books which the other insurers did not follow with. Even as a non profit I'm sure they do a lot of bean counting to stay in the green but they appear to have a better assistance for the customer and possibly better cover.
I have been with Laya formerly Quinn and Bupa for many many years but after reading several concerning threads here on the company in recent months. i have now decided to move to VHI at my next renewal date. Thank you Ask About Money for highlighting all thats wrong with Laya.

I have been with Laya formerly Quinn and Bupa for many many years but after reading several concerning threads here on the company in recent months. i have now decided to move to VHI at my next renewal date. Thank you Ask About Money for highlighting all thats wrong with Laya.
I have now received two replies from Laya, both. stating they are still looking into the issue described above and will be in contact in due course.
Is it normal practice for health insurance to receive estimate for treatment in Irish hospitals. I thought my doctor decided what treatment I needed - not Laya
The €2,000 was refunded by the hospital without asking the cheque was ready for me on discharge. The administrator made a less than complimentary comment about Laya as health insurers.
I will update when I hear from them
Many thanks for your reply. It is nice that somebody understands.

Back