claiming back tax on bin tags?

creme egg

Hi all,

Would someone be able to advise how I go about claiming back tax on the bin tag charges? I did not really save my bin tags from last year, but intend to do it this year, so I just would like to know what I should be doing?

Tks

creme egg

Although you are supposed to retain receipts for tax purposes it is unlikely that Revenue will ask for them. So simply estimate what you realistically spent (i.e. how many tags you would have used) and submit a claim for this relief to Revenue either online or by writing to them and they should adjust your tax credits or issue a P21 balancing statement and a refund if this relates to a previous tax year. Keep the receipts from now on just in case.

It's very easy.
Just call the Revenue Commisioners and tell them the total amount you paid for them in 2006. The reclaimed tax will be added to your Tax Credits for 2007.

For the current year you can claim the relief by sending a txt message.
Here is the info on revenue's website: [broken link removed]

And this is what it says:

Tax Refunds for Bin/Service Charges
How do I claim
Write to or phone your local Revenue office to make a claim for previous years.
You can also claim this relief for the current year on-line or by sending a text message using your mobile phone
Where do I send my claim?
If you wish to make a claim you can use your PPS number (your tax reference number) to find the appropriate Revenue telephone numbers and postal address in our Contact Locator
This credit may also be claimed using PAYE On-Line
There is no need to send receipts. You should retain your receipts carefully in case we ask for them at a future date.

Back