Claiming additional pension for spouse

Cobra

I intend to retire early, possibly this year and my wife is going to claim additional pension for me €153.50 how much money would i be allowed to have savings before it affected her claim for me. My age is 62 and heading for New Zealand when my house is sold to live with our Son.

Savings are assessed as follows:

First €20000 disregarded
Next €10000 assessed at €1 per €1000
Next €10000 assessed at €2 per €1000
Remainder assessed at €4 per €1000

If savings are held jointly, then half of the total is deemed to belong to each party.

Savings are assessed as follows:

First €20000 disregarded
Next €10000 assessed at €1 per €1000
Next €10000 assessed at €2 per €1000
Remainder assessed at €4 per €1000

If savings are held jointly, then half of the total is deemed to belong to each party.
Thanks gipimann,
We have a joint account of €40000 savings. Does that mean that does that mean that 20000 belongs to wife and 20000 belongs to me. So the €40000 should be disregarded.

From the guidelines on the DSP website, that would appear to be the case - best to check with the appropriate scheme section, just to be sure.

Contributory pension is not means tested, the above means assessment does not apply in these circumstances as far as I understand it. Your wife should be able to get a full increase in payment for you provided you don't have any other income (eg, from another pension, or other self-employment/employment). Savings do not come into the equation.

Increase in pension for a Qualified Adult
This is payable in resect of a spouse who is being financially maintained and whose income is not greater than a specified limit (currently €300.00 *See not below). Spouse is defined as a husband, wife, or partner - this includes a husband or wife divorced by the pensioner.
* Note:
Where the spouse's income is not more than €100.00 a week, the full relevant rate of qualified adult increase is payable. Where the spouse's income is more than €100.00 a week but not more than €300.00 a week, reduced rates of qualified adult increase are payable.

If the pensioner has children living with him/her and is single, widowed or separated, s/he may qualify for qualified adult increase for a person who is caring for the child/ren provided that person is living with and being supported by the pensioner.
The qualified adult rate is increased when the qualified adult reaches age 66.
An increase is payable in respect of one qualified adult only.
See 'Dependants - Increase for Qualified Adult' guideline for more general information.

If you look at the main page for State Pension Contributory, it clearly states that savings are assessed when determining entitlement to an increase for a Qualified Adult.

State Pension Contributory is not means-tested in respect of the applicant only.

Adult dependant

You can get an increase in your payment for a qualified adult. Any income your adult dependant has from employment, self-employment, savings, investments and capital (for example, any property except your own home) will be taken into account.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Pension/Pages/spc.aspx

gipimann: you are right in what you say in your last reply. I would have thought they would not give entitlement to an increase for a qualified adult if one was living abroad permanent . I rang Sligo office this afternoon and it seems they do and i will get further increase when i am 66 if i have not enough credits to claim more for myself. Thats good news for me anyway as i will be dependent on this money.

If you look at the main page for State Pension Contributory, it clearly states that savings are assessed when determining entitlement to an increase for a Qualified Adult.

State Pension Contributory is not means-tested in respect of the applicant only.

Adult dependant

You can get an increase in your payment for a qualified adult. Any income your adult dependant has from employment, self-employment, savings, investments and capital (for example, any property except your own home) will be taken into account.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Pension/Pages/spc.aspx

Yes, that seems to be right, although I was told different by someone in the Department. But I would take the guideline's word for it, as individual welfare employees do get it wrong sometimes.

"Yes, that seems to be right, although I was told different by someone in the Department. But I would take the guideline's word for it, as individual welfare employees do get it wrong sometimes."

If you do the calculation as per Gipiman's chart you will see that in the SW terms E57,000 in savings is = to approximately income of E100 per week which is the maximum weekly income allowable to a Dependant Adult before any reduction in that payment occurs.

BTW I don't usually rely on what I'm told. I prefer to read the regulations, but then perhaps I'm just a sceptic

"Yes, that seems to be right, although I was told different by someone in the Department. But I would take the guideline's word for it, as individual welfare employees do get it wrong sometimes."

If you do the calculation as per Gipiman's chart you will see that in the SW terms E57,000 in savings is = to approximately income of E100 per week which is the maximum weekly income allowable to a Dependant Adult before any reduction in that payment occurs.

BTW I don't usually rely on what I'm told. I prefer to read the regulations, but then perhaps I'm just a sceptic

Income and savings seem to be two different issues:

Income and Savings are part of the same issue which is the assessment of means for the purpose of calculating the amount of payment due.
Savings in this situation is regarded as income (as per the formula) and is added to any other income a person may have

Back