Claiming a tax refund if you are unemployed

Emelem

Registered User
Messages
31
Do you think that if I receive JPRB in the amount of €420 per week and my weekly tax credit is €73, I have a chance of getting a tax refund?
I will (probably) be receiving JPRB for 10 weeks this year, and I was employed for all the previous weeks before receiving benefits.
Is my assumption that per week
420.00-13.00 = 407.00
407.00*20% = 81.40
81.40-73.00 = 8.40
correct and means I should probably pay extra tax and that it's better not to apply for a Tax refund if you're unemployed?
 
AFAIK, Social Protection payments are exclusive of income taxes and you'll have to make a return to account for any liability due. If you're on JPRB then you had income earlier in the year and that utilised some/all of your credits up to this point?
 
Yes. I worked for 42 weeks. So I used 42*73.00 (weekly tax credits) = 3066.00 euros. My full tax credit for this year is 3784.00 euros.
 
The first €13 tax free doesn't seem to apply to JPRB.

You will be using all your credits so you won't be due any tax refunds.
 
The list on this site shows JB and JB (self employed) as first €13 tax free.

JPRB is shown as taxable (presumably all taxed)

This appears to be another sneaky trick implemented by DSP.


Screenshot_20251207-013917.webp
 
Last edited:
This appears to be another sneaky trick implemented by DSP.

Yes, it all looks like this: you got more, give us more.
Jobseeker benefit, although a smaller amount, seems less problematic than the Jobseeker Pay-related benefit.
 
Back
Top