Claim relief on Med1

hm2605

Hi All,

I had laser eye surgery this year (April), I want to claim back my tax relief. Do I need to wait until the end of the year?

I can't currently see any option to do it online.

Thanks,
H.

Med1 claims are made after the end of the tax year, so you can't claim until January next.

Hi All,

I had laser eye surgery this year (April), I want to claim back my tax relief. Do I need to wait until the end of the year?

I can't currently see any option to do it online.

Thanks,
H.
:)

Are you sure you can claim it?

If so u need to keep receipts for 7 years

:) Thanks Hastalavista. Yes you can claim it back alright.

Thanks gipimann for the reply.

Med1 claims are made after the end of the tax year, so you can't claim until January next.

They do appear to have some exceptions to that rule:

When can I make a claim?

Claims for tax relief for health expenses incurred in a tax year can only be made after the end of that year (however, see next question ).

I am a PAYE worker paying monthly nursing home fees for my mother – Is it possible for me to get the tax relief due on these fees through the PAYE system during the tax year instead of waiting until at the end of the tax year?

Yes, in certain circumstances relief may be granted during the year. You should contact your local tax office with details of your claim. If the claim relates to the year 2010 and subsequent years of assessment the nursing home in question must provide access to 24 hour nursing care on-site.
Note for the year 2009 or previous years the nursing home must be on the Revenue [broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
In all cases you must submit a completed Med 1 Form in the normal way at the end of each tax year.

Back