Claim pension relief for previous year after tax return already submitted

Adelie

I’m planning to do my income tax return this month to claim health expenses etc for 2021 (simple one not form 11 or 12).

Can I later this year, make a pension contribution, and claim tax relief for 2021? Even though I already did a return for that year? Or should I hold off on the return til I make the pension contribution?

I would submit tax return in one go, with medical expenses, any extra income, pension conts, all in one.

However, yes, it is possible to make a return, and then an amended return in the same year.

I'm doing the same but, for other reasons, can't do the pension top-up until later so I'm going to do the medical and working from home expenses claims now and the pension stuff later. I've done this many times in the past like this.

BTW, you probably know you already, but should something arise or come to light after the fact, you can always go back too any of the previous 4 tax years and make adjustments. Normally you can do this via the Revenue myAccount system if you're PAYE.

Back