Claim on Life Assurance

Nodice

Does an insurance company (life assurance) have the legal right to demand that an executor provide them with the last will & testament of the policyholder, the beneficiaries of the Estate and what they were each bequeathed? The life assured was my mum and the proposer was my father who pre-deceased her. I've furnished the insurance company with proof that I am the executor and that my father is deceased.

The will is the method by which you are appointed as executor; as I recall the various banks I dealt with wanted a copy.

Easiest option is to go into the offices with your certified copy and let them photocopy it while you're there.

Once the Grant of Probate issues, the will is a public document and anyone can get a copy of it, so don't understand what your objection is?

Can I clarify:
- Your father took out a policy on your mother
- Your father died before your mother
- Your mother has died and you are the executor of her estate

If that is the case then the policy refers to your father’s estate not your mothers. If the policy lists any contingent beneficiaries the insurance company will payout the proceeds to them. If not, it will be paid out in accordance with the will of your father, which I assume is why they are asking for the documents.

Father died intestate & policy reverted to mum. My brother & I are sole beneficiaries under mums will.

Back