Claim back eworker expenses

ImARebel

Hi all,

I saw an article lately about the fact that an eworker can be given 3.20 from an employer without them incurring PAYE or USC

I've been an eworker (2 days a week remotely) for almost 5 years now , I was wondering is this something I can claim for and if so how do I go about it?

I had a look on the revenue site but couldn't see anything but maybe I wasn't properly understanding what I was reading.

We fill out a form 11 due to rental income but I've never seen anything on this form for this

Any help appreciated it would be great if I was entitled to something back

Not sure why you think the F11 would have anything on it about this, since you’ve correctly pointed out this is a matter between the employer and employee. The employer can pay up to the max amount to the employee and not operate payroll taxes on it. Hence it doesn’t go on the tax return, nor on the P60.

Below from revenue site explains it:

Home expenses
You can make a payment of €3.20 per workday to an e-Worker employee without deducting Pay As You Earn (PAYE), Pay Related Social Insurance (PRSI) or Universal Social Charge (USC). This payment is to cover expenses such as heating and electricity costs.

If your employee’s costs are higher and you repay these expenses, records of the payments made must retained by you. Your employee may instead choose to make a claim online with use at the end of the year. To do this, they must submit receipts to their local Revenue office using MyEnquiries which is available through MyAccount.

These arrangements only apply to e-worker employees. They do not apply to workers who bring work home outside of normal working hours.

Thanks I also read that but wasn't sure what my next step was. Do I need to ask them to change something when doing payroll?

As in it doesn't get sent through as a tax credit, they've to actually do something specific to cater for it?

If this is going to be a hassle for someone then they won't do it as it's handled by an external company and we are managed through the UK and they haven't a bogs notion about Irish tax.

Also can it be claimed back for years gone? Or is it only applicable from now onwards?

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Sorry if I'm asking a silly question I just didn't know how to go about it

As in it doesn't get sent through as a tax credit, they've to actually do something specific to cater for it?
Its an additional payment your employer can make to you, tax free. If they don't make an additional payment, there's nothing really you can do about it. It's not a tax credit.

And you can't go back and re-allocate what you've been paid into two sums, one part of which qualified for EUR3.20 per day and the other, the remaining amount.

Ah ok. Got it thanks that article I read was way off so.

Cheers

Thanks for getting back to me much appreciated

Back