Claddagh Road, Ballyfermot

I worked with a guy years ago who lived on Claddagh Road - lived in number 20 something, and that part always seemed very quiet. That was years ago, so dont know what the area is like now.

Got same car stolen twice years ago.... and twice found in Ballyfermot. From guard report, once on Claddagh road, once one Blackditch road (e.g. next street i understood).
Second time around, 3 youth living in Moycullen road (if memory serves me well ) got arrested for having stolen my vehicle

That's sums up what i think of this area...

Got same car stolen twice years ago.... and twice found in Ballyfermot. From guard report, once on Claddagh road, once one Blackditch road (e.g. next street i understood).
Second time around, 3 youth living in Moycullen road (if memory serves me well ) got arrested for having stolen my vehicle

That's sums up what i think of this area...

I know in the eighties and early nineties car theft and joy riding would have been very prevalent in Ballyfermot and similiar areas in Dublin. Joy riding isn't too common anymore and I don't beleive car theft is a major problem anymore.

You will have to take a drive up to Claddagh Road and decide if it's for you. I rented close to this as a student and while I had no problems, I wouldn't want to live there full-time.

However, if you are working in the city centre, it might be OK, as the bus commute from Ballyfermot is about 40 mins. You will probably have a long commute to find a similarly priced house in a "nice" area.

Holy Well - dont know if you are thinking of buying around Claddagh Road - there is a lot of developement around the green area up there including old folks houses and community centre type building but it is right accross the green to Cherry Orchard - the least desirable part of Ballyer. Joyriding is unfortunately part of the parcel of living up the 'top end of Ballyfermot' where Claddagh Road is so if you were thinking of buying look around the lower end (Landen/Decies/Lally Rd) instead which is also closer to City for commuting. You should drive up one night and judge for yourself but DONT leave your car alone for a minute!! (only joking - its not as bad as some make out)

I've a brother who bought in Claddagh Road a couple of years back and he hasn't had any problems. Certainly it could be classed as a working class area and there are plenty of kids knocking around buthe has good neighbours and I get the impression it is an area slowly getting itself together.
Also apparently Sinn Fein have bee doing a lot of work in the area to stop the joyriding and my brother reckons this is having an impact.

Hope this helps.

Back