Civil Service - AO competition - Irish Exam

lightup

I have stage 2 of the Civil Service AO competition coming up and there is an optional Irish exam. Does anyone know what level of Irish is required for the exam?

Is the exam worth doing? Would it work against me if I sat the exam but didn't reach the required standard?

Hi, as far as I know the standard is not that high but you could ring the public appointment service and ask for more details, its just a proficiency test not a fluency one. I'd say with good honours lc Irish you'd be fine. I didn't sit the test as I was unsure of the standard but a few people that started with me did take it and found it to be fine.
Its worth doing as you get an extra 6% overall on your score and that stands for promotional purposes. However, I'd say if you scored well in the aptitide test and are confident at interview level then hold off doing it because if you don't use if for promotion within five years it starts to decrease in value. There are Irish courses run twice a year in the civil service you can sit the test again at any time.

Thanks for the reply Lin83. I did honours Leaving Cert Irish, but it was a few years ago, so it is a bit rusty now!

I think I will try having a few conversations in Irish with more fluent friends, and if it starts to come back I will give the exam a bash.

I don't want to have to do loads of preparation and study for it, since I will already be doing quite a bit for the presentation etc.

You'd be surprised how easily it comes back to you although I don't think its essential to do, you obviously scored well in the aptitude test just get as much information as you can on competency interviews and have some really good examples of the ones you had to fill in on the form, be able to talk freely about them and throw in a couple more if necessary.
The presentation is harder than the interview (In my opinion!) but a lot of it has to do with keeping your head and being able to answer questions at the end logically, understanding what your being asked to do!
Best of luck with it!

Back