Citibank Dublin fixed term dep (Scam warning)

Bonnylov

Warning: This turns out to be a scam

Citigroup have the following offering closing 28th feb for fixed term deposit

invest 20k for 1 year the rate would 3.75% P.A net of DIRT.
Has anyone used Citigroup in Dublin before?
seems like a very good return for 1 year term compared to current offers

Attachments

• Citibank- Fixed Rate Deposits Prospectus 2023.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 317
Last edited by a moderator:
They are offering 4% on 1yr for 50k min.

These are described as deposits.

They offer deposit protection up to 100k.

Is there a catch?

Or can this be compared with typical deposits at AIB, PTSB, etc.?

1676986988648.png

Bonny

Where did you get the brochure? I can't find it on their website.

It looks legit. ok but I would definitely make sure that it was legit before sending any money.

Brendan

Last edited:
They are offering 4% on 1yr for 50k min.

These are described as deposits.

They offer deposit protection up to 100k.

Is there a catch?

Or can this be compared with typical deposits at AIB, PTSB, etc.?
I’m trying to find if there is a catch as seems to be best rate atm.
CBI guarantee 100k and Citibank also guarantee up to 250k
I am trying to find a phone number for ciit in north wall to verify the brochure and details are real and authentic, the main number for citi , north wall just refers users to their website.
Will keep checking

I’m trying to find if there is a catch as seems to be best rate atm.
CBI guarantee 100k and Citibank also guarantee up to 250k
I am trying to find a phone number for ciit in north wall to verify the brochure and details are real and authentic, the main number for citi , north wall just refers users to their website.
Will keep checking

Surely you got it from a financial advisor? Alarm bells are ringing in my head here..........

Citi don't deal directly with the public here. I'd question what market that brochure is aimed at. Its only available via 'advisors'.

Edit, brochure is FAKE.

Last edited:
Actually run a mile.... From the CEO statement......... That's just gobbly gook....

It comes with the highest level of corporate governance and security, being asset backed and insured to a government level and has the latest technology and emerging sectors to continue to maximise growth in a secure manner

Also how do Citi guarantee up to 250k if Citi go bust????

Where did this brochure come from?

View attachment 7271
Bonny

Where did you get the brochure. I can't find it on their website.

It looks legit. ok but I would definitely make sure that it was legit before sending any money.

Brendan
Original query was via a fixed rate tracker ad, then Email from below (I removed the name) with brochure, but am trying to verify the phone number without using the one on email below. Also the brochure has a closing date of 29th Feb 2023 which doesn’t exist, looking more like a scam now

Kind Regards
Lxxxxxxxxx
Account Manager

Citibank Europe
Head Office
Mon - Fri: 9:00 am to 6 pm
Switchboard +353 1 254 8992
1 North Wall Quay Dublin 1, D01T8Y1

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonny sent me a copy of the email and it is very convincing.

This was the only bit to set my alarm bells ringing

The closing date for applications to be accepted for the current advertised rates is 29th February 2023.

Brendan

Where did you get the ad?

What search terms did you use?

No need to provide a link

It is very genuine looking and people need to be warned.

Brendan
I think the ad was on Facebook, it was just on a feed that I clicked on, I’m almost certain the ad had rate tracker in its title.
Once clicked in I received the email as I have sent you and a phone call from the sender of the email.
I then tried to verify the sender worked for ciitbank but getting get a citbank Dublin phone number.
And then tried my trusted friends on this forum for help!
Safe to say I won’t be completing the application form!
Thnaks for all the help. Do I need to remove this post so others don’t read the brochure and think it’s real?

Hi Bonny

No need to remove the brochure. I have edited your first post to show that it's a scam.

It's handy for people to realise how genuine looking the brochure is.

Brendan

Bonny sent me a copy of the email and it is very convincing.

This was the only bit to set my alarm bells ringing

The closing date for applications to be accepted for the current advertised rates is 29th February 2023.

Brendan

I can see why it would catch people out on facebook but it doesn't stand up to even the most basic of scrutiny.....

-A statement from the CEO of Citibank Europe on a brochure for a fixed deposit? Especially when part of it makes no sense to any English speaker.
-The interest rates themselves makes no sense. Way way out of sync with the market
-There is no publically available copy of the brochure.
-The contact details are vague.
-The guarantee scheme details make no sense.
-The brochure gives an investment strategy for a fixed deposit product that is nonsensical
-If you have any complaints about the brochure, you send a letter to the 'compliance officer'
- Citi will take your money and 'invest them into both emerging and blue-chip global markets or loan them out' Makes no sense

The OP did the right thing by checking here but the golden rule still applies. If it is too good to be true, then it probably is....And Also nothing good comes from clicking ads on facebook!!

Has anyone investigated whether the attached PDF might contain a malicious payload?
Seems clear of malware.
See the scan report screenshot attached.

The English used in the brochure is poor enough to give rise to suspicion even in the absence of any other evidence that it's a scam. E.g.
Investment Time-frame

Why chose the Fixed Rate Deposit?

To ensure safety and security, but also to achieve the situation of a healthy, market beating rate of return with zero risk to your invested capital.

insured to a government level

Investment Timeframes, Returns & Securities

dividends

It’s a perfect choice for a risk adverse investor who are still looking to get a fair rate of return for investing their bonds.

Is there any fees or charges?

You have Three options

EU Securities and Exchange Commission

Citibank and Citi Bank

Citibank iEurope

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230221-163303.png
    Screenshot_20230221-163303.png
    348.4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Back