Cigarette Packets to show graphic images of consequences of smoking

I was at Minister O'Reilly's launch of the new cigarette packets - the big bloated purulent neck, the horrible mouthful of stained teeth - and then he took out the new cigarette packets.

[Thanks to Phoenix Magazine]

As there are people on here with an interest in quitting smoking, I just want to give my experience of trying to quit smoking. I am 42 and have smoked since I was an teenager. Over the years there have been some half hearted attempts, that lasted a few days or maybe weeks at a push, but I always went back on them. I have a four year old son, who as any little boy, has his mum as the centre of his life. So anyway, I start hearing this quit smoking add on the radio. Its about a teenage girl , and she's talking about her mum who was a smoker, how she was always there for her, if she had any problems in school etc. She was 45 when she was diagnosed with lung cancer, and 46 when she died. This really hit home with me. I started to imagine what life would be like for my son without a mother. I have to say it brought me to tears. So, I gave up smoking on 04 Jan. For him. One slip up a week later when I was on a night out with other smokers, but none since. Its very hard to give up - make no mistake about that. I have found the nicorette spray to be good.
I suppose the message here is that I never really had the will power to give up just for myself, its my son that I'm doing it for. I imagine alot of other smokers are the same. I think more ads should be directed to the impact on a familys life on the death of a smoker, that the individual themselves. It's what did it for me.

Great post Geri. I wish you luck with your attempts to give up smoking and hope you do.

Thanks Leper and Firefly for the words of encouragment. Still off them - (weekends are the worst tho!)

I'm off them since October 1st last year - just over 5 months now.
I just imagine the % of the price of a pack of 20 thats going straight into Berties pension. That stops me buying them every single time.

Just bought a packet of cigars. It warns that smoking can cause impotence and the graphic is a highly suggestive drooping cigarette:eek:

Is this not against Advertising Board standards? I suppose your normal cigar smoker would not be offended by this but all the same:(

Just bought a packet of cigars. It warns that smoking can cause impotence and the graphic is a highly suggestive drooping cigarette:eek:

Is this not against Advertising Board standards? I suppose your normal cigar smoker would not be offended by this but all the same:(

It's sexist! :)

Back