Christmas songs

Didn't have to think.

The little drummer boy - doesn't matter who sings it.

Walking in the air - the Aled Jones version. I like the fact I was around when it was first released. Normally when I hear an old song on the radio and the DJ says that song was released 26 years ago, it makes me feel old.

Christmas no 1 the same year was Shakin Stevens 'Merry Christmas everyone'. Oh we really did have bad taste in the 80's.

I could listen to crappy christmas songs all day so its hard to distinguish the favourites. It's beginning to look alot like christmas definitely has to be up there though. And for hymns, it has to be Oh holy night...

Guy in my parish sings "o Holy night" on Xmas morning at mass, superb barritone and always makes the hairs stand up.

My top 3 are probably

O, Holy Night" by Leontyne Price

"Fairytale of New York" by Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl

“Merry Xmas Everybody” by Slade

Look to the future now, it's only just begun
!

I like to get up early Christmas morning & listen to " Grandma got run over by a reindeer " by Dr. Elmo followed by " Chipmunks roasting on an open fire " by Bob Rivers.

Then it's off with me to the Cratchits down the road to fire snowballs at Tiny Tim.

... PS - good luck to the Military Wives Choir

I like the traditional songs sung by people with nothing to sell me and with no agenda.

O Tannenbaum - Traditional German carol (Oh! Christmas Tree)

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (Music by Felix Mendelssohn)

Silent Night by Joseph Mohr and Franz Gruber

The Germans, Austrians, Swiss, Greeks, Bulgarians, etc invented Christmas as we know it today around the legends / mythology of Sinter Claes (St. Nicholas) whose body, according to Irish legend was exhumed from Myra in Turkey and transferred to Jerpoint, Kilkenny.

Are those youtube links being posted for home or from work ?

We haven't been allowed access youtube, or a host of other such distractions (e.g. social media, webmail), from work for years :eek: !

Back on message ..

I love Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses, back when it was hard to find. It reminds me of my late teens and a white vinyl record of Christmas songs. And most tracks on the Phil Spector Christmas album.

On Christmas FM, I enjoy Santa Claus is comin' to town performed by Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, and Baby please come home performed by U2, or maybe it's just Bono doing vocals.

For traditional Christmas carols/hymns, O holy night. Or anything sung by the parish children's choir, featuring my 9yo daughter ;) !

Walking in the Air
Fairytale of New York
Do They Know It Is Christmas Time

Back