Christmas Charity Appeal in the workplace

Newbie!

I am tossing around the idea of asking the boss if we can do something for a charity this christmas. Lots of groups do chriskindle and I thought that if we forewent that this year and instead bought a gift for a child who otherwise mgiht not get anything might be better.

Has anyone done this in the workplace before? Any pro's/con's? any particular charity to choose?

We used to have a Vincent de Paul "giving tree" in our office , someone co-ordinates with them and makes tags for the tree that say "boy aged 10" "girl age 5" etc, everyone who is interested takes a tag and buys a gift for that age and the VdP distribute them. I always thought it was a really good idea.

I guess you need to be conscious that not everyone will have the spare cash

We used to have a Vincent de Paul "giving tree" in our office , someone co-ordinates with them and makes tags for the tree that say "boy aged 10" "girl age 5" etc, everyone who is interested takes a tag and buys a gift for that age and the VdP distribute them. I always thought it was a really good idea.

I think the minimum is €10 and most people here will have that but I would try make it as anonymous and private as possible so people who cant participate dont feel embarressed.

We do the same and basically people can give something if they want and if the can't/don't, there is no pressure on them. We do it at Easter as well for Barnardos with Easter eggs

+1 for the StVdeP Giving Tree.

+1 for any suggestion to do away with KrisKindle/Secret Santa/whatever and direct the spend to a deserving cause.

like Cubman I would also decline to donate to a denominational charity.
What about doing a food collection and then donating the food to a woman's shelter or a homeless shelter.
This way every penny spent actually goes to those in need.

Back