Choosing a new dog

If you have concerns about a rescue dogs temperment I wouldn't hesitate to bring them back.
Hard to do that to the kids, but the rescue center would have had no issue in taking her back. I had spoken at length to the foster "mum", but she was a single lady. She didn't have 3 active kids who wanted to hang out/off the dog 24/7:D. She reckoned we'd be ideal as there was so much activity....which was true until the dog decided otherwise. Anyway - they've all adjusted their boundaries and all fine now....but it was alot of work!!!

Well done sam h for persisting and putting so much work into your dog. I have a very strange temperament of a dog. Don't trust her with people only just our family and even at that we have to be a tad careful at times. Great watch dog. Very nervous which is probably why she reacts as she does. Her mother was a stray so we have this dog since birth. So possibly cross gene in father dog vet reckons. Love her to bits though.

I'd normally push the rescue dog agenda but i'd agree with other posters that this isn't ideal when dealing with young children as you never know the background of a rescue dog. Even with a rescue pup it's hard to know. Our pup was given to us as a 'jack rusell' when she was ten weeks but grew into a mini collie-type, with mongrels it can be too hard to tell a breed when they are so small. Best idea would be a labrador, ideal for young children provided thay get enough exercise and entertainment.

Last edited:
Do you know a trait of boxers is to open doors? they'll jump up and pull the handle down to let themselves through...unfortunately, I've yet to come across one that will close it behind them!

Boxers aren't the only breed to open doors. Our german shepherd does it too. I think it may be an indication of intelligence.

Boxers have to be the most stupid dogs on god's earth. Really, really daft. (My sister's got one - the training school gave her her money back...).

I was fixing to be offended by your general comment about boxers but I won't bother because I laughed so much at the training school comment. Thanks for the chuckle. :D

Personally for a good dog for kids Id go with a Springer Spaniel or a Lurcher.
Another poster mentioned a Lurcher being bombproof - I laughed, but have to agree, they are very gentle with children.
In saying that we had a Springer Spaniel once who couldnt be trusted, however there were 2 others since who were the perfect dogs - proof that breeds can display totally different temperments.

Id definitely go with a rescue dog, you can put your name down for puppies - you dont have to take a dog who has an unknown past. They temperment test rescue dogs as well so you can specifically ask for a dog who is going to be gentle and good with kids if you take a dog who isnt a puppy.

I mind a neighbours King Charles Spaniel sometimes and he is a sweetie as well, but I dont know if he would be able for rough and tumble with kids - a bit on the small side - but certainly a great temperment and licks people to death.

Ive had mixed breeds as well and never a problem, it really depends on the individual dog.

I was fixing to be offended by your general comment about boxers but I won't bother because I laughed so much at the training school comment. Thanks for the chuckle. :D
But he's a lovely dog. In their last house, there was a catflap. He could only fit his head through it, which he used to do at random intervals just to see what was going on. He didn't bark, look around, whine or anything, so he always looked like he'd been shot and hung on the door...

Because my dog openes any internal doors that were left open only a fraction, and not closing them after him, I ended up fitting these gadgets.

[broken link removed]

They work very well and are particularly useful in the winter.

Murt

Because my dog openes any internal doors that were left open only a fraction, and not closing them after him, I ended up fitting these gadgets.

[broken link removed]

They work very well and are particularly useful in the winter.

Murt

Yes, we fitted something like this to our outside door, we managed to train him not to do it inside....eventually! To be honest, it's a trait that is driving me nuts as our living room is at the back of the house with glass/pvc surround doors going into the back garden....... I've decided to change them for sliding patio doors!

Chuckling at the boxer hanging on the wall comment, yogunmahuw. They really are a beautiful, daft breed but so loving and affectionate, not to mention hugely entertaining!

But he's a lovely dog. In their last house, there was a catflap. He could only fit his head through it, which he used to do at random intervals just to see what was going on. He didn't bark, look around, whine or anything, so he always looked like he'd been shot and hung on the door...

Brilliant. One of our springer spaniels used to stick his head behind the couch and think that because he couldnt see us that we couldnt see him. If you mentioned his name (or said sausages) he would wag his tail like mad (still thinking he was hidden)!

re the discussion on the pro's and con's of rescue or pedigree, you can't be 100 certain that a dog won't accidently or on purpose injure a child. No such thing as "bombproof" with kids. IMO, kids ALWAYS ought to be supervised with animals. Also, to say that a pedigree breed is somehow better than a mongrel is silly. I think size, amount of exercise needed and breed are the important factors, but none come with guarantees

Yes young children can sometimes tend to be very rough with dogs, not realising they are pulling and dragging and hurting the poor critters. Its not surprising that a dog can snap back if hurt. So certainly supervision is needed for the good of both child and dog.

not cool to buy a dog when you can rescue one! pounds and shelters are full of all sorts of dogs that need a new home.

they say a dog chooses its owner and not the other way round as we found out when we went to the shelter three years ago, a young corgi/terrier mix picked us. he is full of affection for everyone and we would not be without him now, he is great entertainment and company.we were talking of getting another rescue dog in the near future. it is shocking to read about the amount of dogs put down in this country each year. i tend to keep an eye on the paws, ispca and irishanimals.ie to see whats out there, im sure when you decide on the breed you will find loads on these sites.

not cool to buy a dog when you can rescue one! pounds and shelters are full of all sorts of dogs that need a new home.

Exactly the reason why I was going to mention on this thread that if I had lots and lots of dosh that I would set up one or loads of shelters with plenty of minders and look after all the poor strays properly. Unfortunately dreams don't often come about. Ah well will continue looking after the one we have and feeding the stray cat even if I don't particularly like cats.

Had to stop feeding the birds because the pigeons were taking over and the sparrow hawk was attacking and killing too many of the sparrows in the garden and upsetting the family.

Sue Ellen I'd love to do the same. If that day ever comes for you I want the first job!!!

Sue Ellen I'd love to do the same. If that day ever comes for you I want the first job!!!

And vice versa :)

P.S. Ok first executive decision, I'm appointing you Chief Shoveller :D Pity either of us weren't in Spain to purchase the Euromillions ticket that won last night, we could have a roof over all the doggies heads asap.

Would have been fantastic! Yes Chief Shoveller sounds like a good old post to get!! I have good experience in that line, I call it my "plop hunt" that I do everyday around the garden.

Thanks to everyones input.

We will look at the rescuse dog when it comes to get the dog. However, I do has reservations, like others, in the suitability of the dog, in its orgins, and how it was previously treated. I am not convinced at all that a couple of home visits will show the nature of the dog, and then there is the kids, who may be upset if the dog has to go back.

We have decided to go for a labrador type dog, based on the posts here, and also talking to people who have had them.

Thanks again.

Back