Chinese Restaurant - Southside

my2leftfeet

I know takeaways were discussed previously. Can anyone recommend a good chinese [sit down] restaurant on the southside. Cassia over Morgue in Templeogue used to be a favourite until it closed.

Furamas Donnybrook - was there Monday night, still good after 4 years since I was there....

That website is a handy tool! Thanks Flexible - it'll save me a lot of rooting through old menus tonight :)

Chai Yo on Baggot St. (opposite BoI) is excellent.

Have been to Wongs in Clontarf, and it was good alright.

I also like the Chinese over Crowes in Ballsbridge-used to be Teppan-but they've changed the name (and possibly the menu) recently.

Sitchaun in Stillorgan is one of the best southside, but very booked up at peak times. Much better than any of the Wongs ive been in,I think.

I second Runner - the Schewan in Stillorgan has excellent Chinese food and is slightly better than Wongs which I find excellent as well.

I'll third that recommendation ...

China Szechuan/Sichuan in Stillorgan (beside the Mill House pub on the Kilmacud road) is the best

Hmm... I ate in the Sichuan in Stillorgan recently and was not so impressed... In fairness the food was great - but the whole time we were there we felt rushed through our meal by hovering waiters trying to free up the table. I had to stop my meal being whisked away from under my nose twice - once when my cutlery was still in my hands! My friend felt the same - and we were annoyed that the tip was pre added to our bill making it more awkward to register our displeasure! It was mid-week and around 9pm when we left. Wondered if it was maybe because we were both driving and hence not ordering from the winelist?

N.

Ironicallt Noodes, that is the only issue I have with the place. Have only been there a few times, but once it was shambolic with people waiting in the corridor on top of each other for tables to vacate. Try to avoid satuarday night and its grand otherwise.

What about New millenium on South King Street,the food is lovely and service v. good

Depends whether you like the 'westernised chinese food' or proper chinese food. You can often tell the best chinese restaurants by seeing chinese families eating in them.
Best ones are The Imperial, The Good World and The New Millenium...all in town. All three of these restaurants do a Dim Sum menu which is traditional Chinese afternoon tea type food. (ask for the chinese dim sum menu and give it a go!)....Dim sum often required well trained chefs...and hence for that reason alone these restaurants you can say the food is being cooked by trained chefs.
There are a number of good chinese restaurants in the north side of town especially The China House and my favourite the Peking house on Parnell st. Believe me once you try these authentic restaurants, you'll not step into a take away or a westernised chinese ever again!
Most take aways/ westernised Chinese restaurants are family run and so the chefs who aren't trained.

Agreed the best ones in town are Imperial and Good World. Went to th re-opened Kingsland a few weeks ago and it was crap.

Back