China-Beijing/Shanghai

Anyone been to these cities ?
Planning to spend 7 nights in Beijing and 2 nights in Shanghai.
Besides the main sites/tourist attractions, can anyone offer other
recommendations ?

Anyone been to these cities ?
Planning to spend 7 nights in Beijing and 2 nights in Shanghai.
Besides the main sites/tourist attractions, can anyone offer other
recommendations ?

There is a alley way ride you do on Beijing to seeall the old parts and narrow streets of the City. Supposed to be brilliant. The Penisula Place hotel is very Good in Central Bejing.

Hi my brother went to both with the Travel Department, and he said it was the best holiday ever, very well organised trips and 5star hotels, plus very reasonable about 1300 euro and he went in October. Check out the website Thertraveldepartment.ie

Beijing: Grand Hyatt is good hotel in good location and fab swimming pool. It is near and on a par with the peninsula mentioned above. Try 'Hong Chow' market if you like pearls and jewellery.
Shanghai hotels: try Jin Mao - highest hotel in the world (might not still be) on Pudong side or Portman on the other side. Shanghai museum is good. Take a day trip to Suzhou is quite interesting for old styler village and canals.

From Shanghai a day trip to the Water Villages is definitely worth it - all the "tourist buses" go from the stadium - there's several of them about 1-2 hours west of Shanghai - lovely little villages built around canals.

Hangzhou is worth a look too when you're in Shanghai - lovely setting around the West Lake .... too much for a day trip really - would be an overnight (until they open the Maglev train all the way to Hangzhou which is soon enough I think)

In Beijing try to go to the further away sections of the Great Wall - the closer in ones that most people visit (Badaling I believe its called) are very busy indeed and overly restored ... The further out ones are lots more impressive and they've not rebuilt them as new with concrete blocks (yet!)

Back