Chimneysafe

RSMike

Its coming to that time of year to get the chimney swept.

I heard the Stira ad on the radio this morning for their Chimeysafe cleaning system.

Claims to clean your chimney continuously, no more sweeping needed.

Anyone tried it, or any thoughts?

Way to pricey.€499 intro offer reverting to €649,Doubt Chimney sweeps will be too worried.

Though this is where they lost me completely..

The unit will require an annual service by a qualifier installer

Very expensive for what it is alright. The parts would cost €20/€30 comercially. How much do they charge for the service and topping up the cleaning fluid?

I'd question how effective it can be as well. The system sprays a cleaning solution into the chimney at attic level, they say this then runs down the chimney cleaning it entirely. You'd need to saturate the chimney to ensure 100% coverage of the solution, yet, nothing makes it as far as the fireplace.

They also say that a clean flue reduces toxic emissions. But the fire will still release the same level of toxic emissions, where do these go? What is the impact of turning existing soot into the fine dust they mention and releasing it into the atmosphere?

They also say it'll pay for itself in 4 years, but the only savings they point to is a 10% reduction on insurance costs and that the annual service is chearer than a chimney sweep. Is it only FBD offering this discount? Is a combined 10% insurance discout and chimney sweep costs really worth €150+ per annum? I very much doubt it! Had a quick look at the FBD site, there's nowhere to state that you have this system fitted, and if you have to phone to tell them, you lose the 10% online discount. So looks like one cancels the other out.

Doh, thanks, I had not read to the end and so missed the bit about an annual service. Hard to see that costing less than just getting your local friendly sweep in.

PS: apologies for initially posting in the wrong forum

Looking for a chimney cleaning system. Came across this on the web [broken link removed] but I don't know if it is available in Ireland? Maybe someone has a better solution. Any opinions are welcome!

Back