Chill out break for 2 adults in October in Europe

The price to rent property off season on the Spanish Costas has remained relatively low due to the happenings of Brexit. I'm not talking about the one/two week breaks. I'm referring to those who spend 3 or more weeks seeking some winter/spring sunshine, relaxation and quality time. Usually, these are people in their 60's and 70's. Retired Brits traditionally invade the Costas from mid October to mid April. Their numbers are reduced this year and there are bargains to be picked up for those Irish off season travellers. A centrally located, good apartment, 2 bedrooms, low rise can be got for less than €700 per four weeks including electricity cost with no hidden extras. You can get cheaper but . . .

Morning daveb,
Sorry, I did mean to report back but of course life takes twists and turns and all that. Spent 10 days in mostly beautiful weather averaging 25 deg. Stayed half board in Golden Costa Salou almost on the beach, had stayed in a sister hotel Golden Donaire 100 meters away before and that is on the beach. Breakfasts were good and evening meal was grand but nothing special. These half boards follow a pattern in most 4 star hotels and one gets used to them. The hotel had a fabulous spa and fitness room which was included in the price along with steam room, sauna, and hot stone beds, all included in the price. Very good sun bathing facilities on 2 floors with nice background music on the top floor one inc a full bed choice for people who liked the heat but couldn't take the sun. Guests were mostly in the older age group and it was adults only. Rooms had fabulous showers, a coffee pod machine with 2 pods supplied each day along with 2 free bottles of water. Some might like the next offering which was a 40 inch television with lots of english choices and a facility on it to get Nedtflix and movies, this Netflix and movie choice incurred a cost. There's a very long soft sand beach right beside the hotel, sunbeds cost €5 per day and little coffe huts are all along the beach at reasonable cost. The town itself is typical Spanish, cafe's, restaurants, to suit all tastes, plenty of shops and a market around 500 meter walk from your hotel every Friday (I think) Yes, it's worth going to, handbags, T shirts, shoes, runners, belts, etc, etc, etc. Buses available 100 meters from hotel, guides on hand to tell you what you need to know about where to go, cost, etc, to Salou, Barcelona, and anywhere you might want to go to. I didn't hire a car but lots do, they're not expensive but drive on the right. Went with Ryanair and we were astonished with how parents take children out from school just as the new term begins, full of primary and secondary school kids and their parents. Rant over! We booked the hotel itself the last time we were in La Pineda, the hotel wasn't finished or open at the time but they were taking bookings and we got a great deal. I was told that a lot of La Pineda and Salou half closes from now on as they consider the season over so be careful if you're going there. We're in our 60's and enjoy this resort and also Salou. Sept and Oct are lovely times to go there as the very hot months are just over and will be going again. Hope to hit Fuerteventura before Xmas, with Corralejo our choice of resort, Hope this helps you daveb.
Great detail and extremely informative. Really appreciate you responding. Thanks a mill.

noproblem.....Do you fly to Reus? Easy to get to from airport? Thanks
Oh gosh, featherhead. Yes, flew Dublin to Reus return and used Hoppa for transfer. We very seldom rent an apartment in Spain as there are very good hotel deals if you stay alert and can fly when you want to. Renting an apt is grand for lots of people, but for me it would have to be close to town, near the beach and have a pool because if this is not the case you're confined a bit. I have an apartment myself in Ayia Napa, Cyprus, not far from Nissi beach and it's been an excellent investment property. I use an agent over there who does everything for us and it rents for most of the year. We ourselves go over usually end of April, beginning of May for a couple of weeks and to sort out any niggles, but the agent, who has become a friend, is really excellent and very few problems. All above board in the tax sense and happy with it for now. Cyprus is a fabulous place to go to, driving on the same side as ourselves, nice people, not expensive, great food, wonderful ancient sights, etc, but the summers are too hot for us, ie, middle of June to beginning of Sept. Ryanair fly direct to Paphos and renting a car is not expensive. Some say it's in the eye of a needle in the sense of wars in the middle east and all that, but in some ways, is anywhere 100% safe?

Oh gosh, featherhead. Yes, flew Dublin to Reus return and used Hoppa for transfer.
Noproblem - Doesn't look like Ryan Air fly to Reus from end of Oct which is a pity.
As you clearly know Paphos, could you recommend a hotel for some R&R, in a district that isn't closed down in early November. I went to Portugal around this time last year and the Algarve had effectively closed down for the Winter.

Noproblem - Doesn't look like Ryan Air fly to Reus from end of Oct which is a pity.
As you clearly know Paphos, could you recommend a hotel for some R&R, in a district that isn't closed down in early November. I went to Portugal around this time last year and the Algarve had effectively closed down for the Winter.

I didn't know they stopped at the end of Oct but not surprised as the weather does take a big turn according to the locals and a lot of places close for the winter. Sorry dave but I don't actually know Paphos as it's on the complete opposite side of the island to Ayia Napa. Go to Tripadvisor and go on the Paphos travel forum, shouldn't be too difficult. A lot of Britts retired there so they might have an Ex Pats page to check out

Looking at the European weather forecast last night, I see that temperatures were still in the low 20's around Europe. We have enjoyed many a holiday in October in Spain. Some of the smaller places/restaurants will close midweek and open up for the weekend. We were in Northern Spain about 10 days ago and this is what happened.

Off to Barcelona for a few days on 5/11 - taking in Barca v Slavia Prague & Espanyol v Ludogrets .
Should be exciting times with the continuing protests running into the General Election on the 10/11 !
Traveling down from Pamplona taking in Osasuna v Villarreal

Back