Chill out break for 2 adults in October in Europe

colin79ie

So, we finally get to drop the kids for s few days near the end of October and are hoping for a 5 night break somewhere in Europe, ie not too long a flight.

We're after a bit of complete relaxation and I was wondering if anyone could share any past experience on where to go or nice hotels where the weather will still be reasonable at that time of year ?

Barcelona, Nice or Malta springs to mind re: ok weather & flight times, and somewhere you can get around mostly on foot \ public transport.
Beaches in Nice are shingly.
Malta would have better beaches but not in Valetta, need to go to St Julian's or somewhere more resort-y.

End October is risky weather wise, so Malta as stated or the Canaries might be your best bet. Cyprus might be another.
By 'reasonable" I'm taking you mean sunny rather than not raining.

Cyprus is beautiful in October, you might get an odd sulky day, you'll be very unlucky though if that happens. M any others like yourself will be there. Ryanair fly direct to Paphos, driving is the same side of the road as here and it won't cost you a fortune.

Love Lisbon for a city break, short flight, small walk able city, plenty of day trips if you want. Weather is pretty good there most of the year.

I went to Malta once. By a fair distance the worst holiday I ever had.

What went wrong? The hotel? The food? The weather?

I had a nice holiday there, was September time, although first night we arrived at hotel they shunted us to another hotel around the corner which was annoying though it was for just one night. Seems to be a trend there with hotel over-booking.

The Hotel, the food and the weather.

The food reminded me of being in Moscow in 1989.
It rained most of the time.
The hotel was dirty and shoddy.
The people were unfriendly.
I hated it.

Was in Malta a couple of years ago - would not be rushing back. It was o.k. but hotels are not great unless you pay for a 5 star.

Had a horrible holiday in Malta many many years ago. Shamrock Apartments....Buggibba. Never wanted to go back.

It depends what you are looking for. If you would like to wander around and see things Prague and Krakow are a nice size. Plenty of nice food in Krakow but I found it difficult to find nice food in Krakow though I'm sure there are places you could go. Both are interesting cities with things you can do with walking distance of the centre. Lots of little museums in both. Lots of music and other forms of entertainment in Prague.

I loved Krakow. We went to a fantastic Hungarian Restaurant (twice).
Great city, highly recommended. Do the free walking tours and don't be too upset when you learn that Schindler's List was almost total fantasy.

Good to know that in Malta the food is terrible and the hotels not good to tourists. It being an island means you're trapped.

We stayed in Benalmedina, Spain, in the Sunset Beach Club a couple of times. The hotel is very English but we had lovely apartments. You don't need a car, it's right at the end of the beach and you can meander each day down to the main area which has loads of restaurants. Best thing is you fly into Malaga and I think it was 20 minutes in a taxi. I can't stand long transfer times or flights at unbearable house. Particularly if it's a 5 night trip. You can also get a bus to other places. We went to Marbella/Puerto Banous for a change of scene.

We did one week all inclusive in Egypt in order to get good weather last February, it's a bit far but doable, not for 5 days though. You'd need 7.

You really need to do your home work on that if you don't want to spend your holiday soaked like happened to me the only time I went to Barcelona. And we were frozen in Prague one year, I should have packed ski clothes. It was so bitter that we had to go into a shop to defrost with the kids walking down the main street. Prague, Paris and London have way too many tourists if you ask me.

Maybe Morrocco is nice in October, that's very doable.

Forget Krakow if you are looking for complete relaxation.
It involves lots of walking (we averaged about 15Km per day).

Estepona is lovely. We had a week there last October. Got bus direct from airport. Mix of new promenade and old town behind.

Estepona is lovely. We had a week there last October. Got bus direct from airport. Mix of new promenade and old town behind.
Are there Irish Bars?
I hate Irish bars and the people they attract. I won't say anywhere that has more than a couple of them.

Back