Childminder - rates for employing

shoestring

Does anyone have any idea how much the going rate for someone to look after a child in the child's own home per day (9-6pm) is?

Au pairs do part time childminding/housework in exchange for pocket money, room and board. Usually 25 hours per week and pocket money of about €100 per week.

Au pairs should not be working fulltime hours.

+1

Perhaps you mean a live in nanny.

Childminder, in your own home mininmum wage as your their employer, any cleaning/fuel costs etc extra.

Childminder in their home general rule of thumb, €5 an hour for one child, €3 for second/third (some may do €2 for a third). However a weekly rate that your both happy with can be agreed on.

Yes. it's cash, and you can earn a decent amount tax free.

Any more, and you can't compete with the creches etc.

If the parents work 8 hours per day, then you are going to have to work 9 to cope with their commute = 45 x 5 = 225/week = 900/month. That is what a creche would charge.
Some do it for 200/week.

The possibility of earning taxfree from childminding is only if it is done in the childminder's home - the OP is looking for someone to come to the child's house - ie looking for an employee to come to their own home. A childminder in the child's home has advantages over creches - don't have to get the child(ren) out of bed early in the morning and no issue if the child a sick (obviously a disadvantage if the childminder is sick...). But the employer will have to register for tax, prsi etc. and keep employee records, do P60s etc.

If the parents work 8 hours per day, then you are going to have to work 9 to cope with their commute = 45 x 5 = 225/week = 900/month. That is what a creche would charge.
Some do it for 200/week.

You'd pay someone 5 euro an hour to come to your home all day every day to look after your child? Someone untrained, unregistered, illegal, and for that price, no doubt totally disinterested, to spend every day with your child?

Unreal.

You'd pay someone 5 euro an hour to come to your home all day every day to look after your child? Someone untrained, unregistered, illegal, and for that price, no doubt totally disinterested, to spend every day with your child?

Unreal.

I misread the 'in the owners house' part.

If I had no spare money, then I would, as that is more or less the going rate, and I don't like creches.

In reality, that is what my wife is receiving, but she is only doing it to help out a friend for a year, and research indicated that was the going rate, and that is what she was offered too.

I know of people doing it in the owners house for that rate too.

If I had reduced income, and a big mortgage, and needed childminding, then my choices are a creche at ~800/month which is 200/week, or a childminder. The childminder would need to earn 200/week to make it viable.... about 5/hour.

I think my wife is crazy to work all day but it really is a favour, she knows the kids well, and is helping somebody out. The money is a bonus. Would she do it as a job for that rate, not on your life, but PLENTY are. Just search for childminders and rates.

My wife is a mother and a qualified teacher. If she wanted to do it as a job she could probably charge more, but the numbers willing to pay it would be very low indeed.

A childminder will take a child for 5e an hour, but they generally have three or four children, which makes it 15-20e an hour. Big difference. You'd have to be mad to work 45 hours a week for 200e.

My sister was an au pair in Spain and my mother in France, both most certainly worked more than 25 hours. But they had free accommodation, become fluent in a different language and had an amazing cultural experience. And learnt about 'foreign' food.

What fraggle is suggesting is illegal. Hiring someone in this manner puts you at significant risk if anything were ever to go wrong. For example, if they were ever to suffer an accident in your home, you would be fully liable, and your insurance would not cover you.

I've edited the title of the thread as what the OP is looking for is clearly not an au-pair.

What fraggle is suggesting is illegal. Hiring someone in this manner puts you at significant risk if anything were ever to go wrong. For example, if they were ever to suffer an accident in your home, you would be fully liable, and your insurance would not cover you.

I've edited the title of the thread as what the OP is looking for is clearly not an au-pair.

Leo, many Home Insurance Policys cover childminding, also their is NO legal reason for a childminder to register in Ireland unless they mind more than three children. Its more the bringing of children in a car thats the issue, private policys means only private passengers so childminders will have a agreeement in place with parents that if anything happened they're only carrying that child for that day.

See http://www.schooldays.ie/ under Parent Resources, then Childminders Forum for a place to advertise your requirements or indeed advertise your childminding service. There is also a discussion board on what to pay/what to charge.

Leo, many Home Insurance Policys cover childminding, also their is NO legal reason for a childminder to register in Ireland unless they mind more than three children.

I think that to earn that amount tax-free with the Revenue, you have to notify them/ register with them / become self-assessed. Not as simple as just not declaring it.

What do childminders do with sick children, where they're already minding (non-sick) children ?

Are there ad-hoc childminders out there who, on an emergency basis, look after kids ? (And who would satisfy normal paranoid overly-protective mothers?)

What do childminders do with sick children, where they're already minding (non-sick) children ?

Are there ad-hoc childminders out there who, on an emergency basis, look after kids ? (And who would satisfy normal paranoid overly-protective mothers?)

Some childminders follow the rule of thumb, if the child can be sick in the parent home, they can be sick in the minders home!

Others will say they are not a nurse!

Contagious or on antibiotics most will say no.

Back