Child savings account

FintanJ

Hi

I received cheque for my 2 year old child . How do I cash? Bank of Ireland allow account to be opened for under 7s only in adult’s name legally.
Thanks

How much is the cheque for.? if it's low value then potentially if you lodge it at an ATM in the branch, the bank won't even notice the payee. These days they only check cheques over a specific value.

How much is the cheque for.? if it's low value then potentially if you lodge it at an ATM in the branch, the bank won't even notice the payee.
Not so. They do check them manually at the end of day before processing. The staff review the name, and they cross check amount and figures and the date.

I’ve had experience first hand of cheques (even low amounts) that were lodged in the ATM that were returned because of a failure of any of the above points.

It might be worth a shot but one shouldn’t be hopeful.

Hi

I received cheque for my 2 year old child . How do I cash? Bank of Ireland allow account to be opened for under 7s only in adult’s name legally.
Thanks
Open a Post Office Account. Simple enough procedure if you have the usual identification and verification documents for all concerned (child and adult passport/birth certificate, proof of address etc).

Last edited:
For child under 7 , legally account is in name of adult for an post. How can I then lodge cheque in child’s name to an account in my name?

How much is the cheque for.? if it's low value then potentially if you lodge it at an ATM in the branch, the bank won't even notice the payee. These days they only check cheques over a specific value.
3 figure amount but don’t think above would work.

For child under 7 , legally account is in name of adult for an post. How can I then lodge cheque in child’s name to an account in my name?
Well I opened three accounts with An Post for my three young ones, each in their own names and each under 7. This was a few years ago, unless things have changed, it’s worth checking it out again.

Well I opened three accounts with An Post for my three young ones, each in their own names and each under 7. This was a few years ago, unless things have changed, it’s worth checking it out again.
Thank you. I will try local post office. Can I ask did you ever lodge a cheque to one of accounts that was in child’s name?

Thank you. I will try local post office. Can I ask did you ever lodge a cheque to one of accounts that was in child’s name?
Yes. It was the main reason why I opened the account, so as to be able to lodge the child’s cheque. The PO took it no problem. (I never understand why people issue cheques to children when cash would suffice!)

Edit: The child cannot withdraw the monies before their 7th birthday. The last such child account I opened was December 2020 so you shouldn’t have a problem.

Back