Cheques dishonoured by Halifax due to signatures not matching

You have ranted and raved about the cheek of Halifax rejecting your cheques because the signatures did not match.

There are two possibilities

1) The signatures match and they made a mistake

2) The signatures don't match and they correctly bounced the cheque.

You have decided that it is 1)

I will allow that 1) is possible, but I think 2) is far more likely.

By deciding it was 1) and not allowing for 2) you repeated the mistake.

Halifax may be at fault, but it is far more likely to be your error.

Brendan

I see that you have had problems with banks and cheques before.

You really should try to move away from using cheques.

Brendan

Brendan

I see you are doing your research.

For your info, and for the info of the Board, as I did promise to report back on the case you have linked, I did indeed take a complaint to the FSOB regarding Ulster Bank's handling of my Mortgage Account after switching to Halifax.

This was settled in my favour, and I was paid a sum of money by Ulster Bank by way of compensation, which was a rather satisfactory outcome, IMHO.

Perhaps you feel that I should not have pursued Ulster Bank regarding their pretty dire Customer Relations, and perhaps I should have allowed them to keep the extra money they took from my account in error, but I certainly was not about to do that.

I also feel that you should follow your own , rather than personally abusing posters with phrases such as

You have ranted and raved about the cheek of Halifax rejecting your cheques because the signatures did not match.

Re: Cheques dishonoured by Halifax bank

I am now very sorry that I switched, as the only reason was AIB did not pay as much interest on Current Account balances.

Changing banks after 25 years over a trivial issue such as the interest paid on current accounts is pretty drastic. It also demonstrates a lack of loyalty on your part - assuming that you had been well treated by AIB in the past.

Quality of service is paramount, the cheapest price is not always the best option.
I always tell customers this; many of them do not listen and frequently end up regretting their decisions.

Do banks routinely check signatures on cheques? Surely it would be a labour intensive process?

Do banks routinely check signatures on cheques? Surely it would be a labour intensive process?

in theory banks should check all signatures, in practise, they tend to set a value threshold and check above that.

In this case, the bank were technically correct in bouncing the 2 cheques and banks are getting stricter on checking and bouncing such cheques due to the rise in attempted frauds relating to cheques.

I know someone who worked as a cheque clearer. Cheque is scanned in branch and image transmitted offsite to a cheque clearing office who see it on a PC screen beside a scanned copy of the sample signature. These people can do one every few seconds. Obviously any that look strange are examined in more detail.

Halifax is the newest member (couple of years) of the cheque clearing system and has new systems and procedures. It has low cheque volumes. I would be very surprised if a cheque was dishonoured due to signatures not matching without good reason.

Back