Cheque in post from Revenue, nothing else.

WaterWater

Both my self and my wife are jointly assessed for tax. We recently each received a separate cheque in the post from revenue. Why would we get separate cheques?

Also, we received no explanation as to how these amounts were arrived at. Will a PAYE balancing statement follow along in due course?

I would like to know how the figures were arrived at.

If you've revenue online access, you can log in and see your balancing statement in the 'my documents' section.

I'm not sure if Revenue are still posting out balancing statements, tax credit statements etc ... seems to direct everything online now to Revenue online site (except a cheque as you need physical copy).

I'm not sure if Revenue are still posting out balancing statements
I submitted a form 12 recently online. I'm jointly assessed with my wife who doesn't have an online Revenue account. My P21 appeared my 'my documents' section however my wife got a P21 in the post.

My understanding is that the Revenue send out cheques where don't have bank account details for the taxpayer. The refund is split between you and your wife based on some formula (maybe respective income) and is, most likely, a balancing statement/P21 refund as mentioned above.

Anytime I received a cheque from revenue, and it was very seldom it happened, the cheque was always attached to an explaining letter and had to be torn from it along a perforated line.

Anytime I received a cheque from revenue, and it was very seldom it happened, the cheque was always attached to an explaining letter and had to be torn from it along a perforated line.

I've received a cheque like this as well but usually get an explanation letter in the post a day or 2 later. never understood why they wasted money sending things out seperatly not to mention the postal costs and stamp duty on a cheque

Back