Checklist for builder starting work on job

Sue Ellen

Moderator.
Oulu previously asked:

"What do I check with a builder before he starts the job, I am getting extra room at back of house and also taking down partition wall between dining room and kitchen to have an open plan kitchen, room at back will be 16 x 9 ft with an A roof, waiting for quote what should I expect tp pay"

Doogo said

I'll put my finger in the air (and expect to get it shot down) and say that (if you're in Dublin) i'd guestimate on paying somewhere in €220-€230 per sq. foot mark for extension plus a little extra for the demolition and making good of the existing room - you could be talking €30 - €35k

....but i await responses to tell me i'm way off the mark .....

Sueellen said

The more quotes/advice from builders the better. Get a few quotes from the guys mentioned here

Unregistered,
Guest Said

Re: Builder

I'm an engineer and spend a lot of time checking construction work.

Best bit of advice I can offer:

1. Go and see more than one job they have done before and talk to the previous client. Ask about duration, additional costs and if they have had any problems since.

2. Make sure and get at least 3 quotes but dont automatically go with the cheapest. It is possible that the cheapest will run out of money before the job is finished.

3. Get an engineer or architect to carry out periodic inspection and to provide a cert of compliance with the building regs (this is a must if you want to sell your house in the future). This is your one and only safe guard regarding quality!!!!!

4. Only agree to pay in stages and a stage behind i.e. first payment after foundations and ground slab are poured. Next after walls built etc. For this type of job 4 stages is normal. Remember, if the builder cant work under these terms it probably means it is an amature outfit without an account at a decent builders providers.

Finally, insist on a 5% retention fee. He only gets this 3-6months after finishing. This ensures that he comes back to fix any minor problems, if not you can afford to get them done elsewhere.

Best of luck!!!

Brodiebabe wrote

Check the builder is insured.

Back