Checking if finance still owed on car

sim

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a car privately and i want to check if there is still finance outstanding?
Does anyone know how to check same?
Thanks

There is a company called H.P.I., they are based in Dublin, sorry I don't have their number to hand.
You need teh car reg adn the Chassis no I believe, try googling them.

If you are arranging any finance through a financial institution they will probably be able to check it out for you. Even if you are not your local bank branch might be able to advise you.

Is there a problem with buying a car with money still owed. I was thinking of selling my car with money still due on my motor loan but topping it up to buy my next car. How do you reasure the buyer that you're not selling them on your debt?

MargeSimpson said:
Is there a problem with buying a car with money still owed. I was thinking of selling my car with money still due on my motor loan but topping it up to buy my next car. How do you reasure the buyer that you're not selling them on your debt?

If you took out a personal loan then the car was effectively yours the minute you paid for it so you can do what you like with it . However if you have a lease agreement the car remains the property of the lease company until a final payment is made so obviously you will need to sort out that end of things with the finance co. before you sell on the car.

But I thought if you default on your motor loan then the bank can sell your car like defaulting on your mortgage.

MargeSimpson said:
But I thought if you default on your motor loan then the bank can sell your car like defaulting on your mortgage.

No, personal loans (like car loans) are not secured and offer maximum flexibility should you decide to dispose of the car before the loan is repaid.

when bought my car through the buy and sell my bank (ACC) did a credit check for me

Back