Check the Electoral Register as the requirements have changed recently.

Groucho

Inspired by an advertisement on RTE this morning, I checked online to ensure that I was included in the register of electors and discovered that

"The electoral registration process has changed. Even if you are already registered, you now need to add your PPSN, date of birth and Eircode. This will allow your local authority to confirm your details and help to ensure the accuracy of the electoral register. "

I provided these - plus my email address - and will be emailed when my additional details are added to the register.

Anyone interested could have a look for themselves; this is the site:-

Last edited:
Interesting.....
Although the website below states that the list may not be 100% up to date, I can't see where local authorities or Dept of Local Government have permission to use a ppsn for electoral registers.

On checking through that list, it does give the Dept of Planning, Housing and Local Government as being authorised to use PPSNs. As you say, interesting.

On checking through that list, it does give the Dept of Planning, Housing and Local Government as being authorised to use PPSNs. As you say, interesting.
Interesting. Thanks for that link and have checked as I've always been registered, it's not recognising me or my other half. I've to fill in an online form with PPSN no, etc. Will probably do it tomorrow. What are others doing? Do people feel there's an issue handing over our PPSN no? If so, why?

Interesting. Thanks for that link and have checked as I've always been registered, it's not recognising me or my other half. I've to fill in an online form with PPSN no, etc. Will probably do it tomorrow. What are others doing? Do people feel there's an issue handing over our PPSN no? If so, why?
I noticed previously that if the address or name you fill in are slightly different to what they have on record, it may not find you. Regarding handing over PPSN, I'm happy enough once I know a body has authorisation. Otherwise I'd need a convincing reason.

Just did mine there now, no issue with them having my PPSN or email address
I hope in the future I'll get a email polling notification instead of a card through the letter box, I've nearly eliminated all post coming through my door except for the odd junk mail and Prize Bond winning letters though the latter is a rare sight to behold these days
But I would agree with Clubman re the public services card, it just would be so much simpler way of doing a whole host of things

Regarding handing over PPSN, I'm happy enough once I know a body has authorisation. Otherwise I'd need a convincing reason.
A PPSN is just a string of characters which can be used for database matching. It's not very different to your phone number or email address which you've distributed to dozens of public and private bodies. Fears over privacy were whipped up by media and NGOs for little good reason.

As someone who was once registered to vote at three addresses under two versions of my name, I for one welcome the consolidation of the electoral register.

It couldn’t find me with my eircode (later realised it was one of the info missing to update) found it with my address though.

Back