Cheapest Valuations for remortgage?

Mommah

Looking at remortgaging with NIB
Rang local estate agent re valuation and they charge €150
Any cheaper ideas or should I just ring around?

Be sure to check the requirements of the lender in question in relation to valuations. Some/many have an "approved list" which must be used in order to ensure an accurate figure is provided.

€150 doesn't sound unreasonable imho.

Can't see you getting it done much cheaper, although I would say the way the housing market has been recently there are probably a few valuers out there looking for something to do !!

In the current market, if I were in your shoes I would be more anxious to get the most reputable valuer possible in order to keep the mortgage provider happy :)

I got mine done recently they would only accept a valuer who was on their approved list would not even accept one of the big estate agents valuations. I asked them who was the cheapest- got it at €125 all in.

Thanks All
We're in South Dublin and NIB don't have an approved list...just insist on the person being IAVI member
Personally I feel €150 is a bit steep for a gawk and filling out a form. :rolleyes:
I have to get my hands dirty and a fair bit of effort to earn that...and I spent 5 years in uni.

Thanks All
We're in South Dublin and NIB don't have an approved list...just insist on the person being IAVI member
Personally I feel €150 is a bit steep for a gawk and filling out a form. :rolleyes:
I have to get my hands dirty and a fair bit of effort to earn that...and I spent 5 years in uni.

Not to burst your balloon, but to do valuations requires a 4 year degree course (part time admittedly) to become an IAVI member (unless you've been an auctioneer for years) and you have to then stand over that valuation afterwards and carry the necessary insurance to do so. For example, if the bank repossesses your home and cannot get the value as it was valued, then the EA is responsible for the shortfall.

The EA also has to have the report typed up and sent to the lending institution, all this takes time and effort (not much for that part).

Given that in Dublin there are traffic issues getting to locations and outside Dublin about half the valuations are in rural areas the time to do them can be significant.

In fact, for €130 a go they're not bad value.

You'll never guess what I do for a living? (BTW I also have an engineering degree so make that 8 years in college) :D

Last edited:
150e is steep.
Am in the middle of a remortgage myself in South Dublin.
These guys charge 130e:
Independent Valuations Ltd. 17 Upr Baggot st 4 Co. Dublin. (01)6607988

Peter

Back