Cheapest, smallest, lowest spec notebook

Consider the support options if the laptop breaks or is stolen. How fast will you need to replace it?

Might be faster and easier to buy a 2nd cheap laptop if that happens. Support some times takes too long to get a repair back. Also make sure its insured etc. And that your data is secure if its sensitive.

Last week in PC World I purchased the following notebook (after much research)

Toshiba Satellite U200-115
Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66Ghz
1GB RAM
80 GB HDD
12" WXGA Trubrite screen
DVD super multi-drive
56k modem / lan (10/100) Wireless A/G
Fingerprint lock
Windows XP Pro

For EUR899, weighs in at 2.3kg. For someone who travels alot the high specification with an excellent screen - twas a bargin IMO. You can upgrade to Vista if you wish.

After a week - I would highly recommend, suggest you ring local PC-World and see if they've stock.

Eoin

I know. A Core 2 DUO, with 12" screen - crazy price - no other shop or site could touch it.
The explanation given was they were clearing stock of non-vista notebooks....mistake or not .... I ain't running back to find out. BTW I purchased at PC World Mahon Point.

Eoin

KalEl, what model Sony was that? And for price, dont want to spend more than 1K if can get away with it. Rgfuller, will check out lenovo thanks.
R

Sorry for the late reply Runner...think it was a VGN N11/W.
He swears by it and as I said I used it last week and found it great.
And on a totally shallow note, Sony laptops are kinda cool!

Good point Emul. Had not considered that there might be some offloading of non Vista products.Great price for quality like Tosh. Thanks again Kalel - nothing wrong with cool looking pc!

Sorry. I know what Vista is, I just wondered at the logic that a laptop is obsolete and worth €300-400 less because it has a different software package that costs about €90 to buy. The hardware is the same. Basically I don't buy it.

Sorry. I know what Vista is, I just wondered at the logic that a laptop is obsolete and worth €300-400 less because it has a different software package that costs about €90 to buy. The hardware is the same. Basically I don't buy it.

Some computers are not Vista compatible...but calling them obsolete is misinformation. Windows XP is and will remain perfectly adequate for the vast majority of people.
Vista isn't €90 either...closer to the €200-300 mark as far as I know.

[broken link removed]

Exactly what is non Vista compatible computer? I'll you what it is. In theory its a machine below the minimum specs.

Minimum specs for Vista Capable machines are:

* 800 MHz Intel-compatible processor
* 512MB of RAM
* DirectX 9.0-Capable Graphics Processor
* 20GB HD

You could run this off a 4yr old computer. I don't believe a new machine can't run it. In fact I'm sure in reality a machine below the minimum spec will run it. I'm not saying it will run fast. But a new machine should have no problems.

Minimum specs don't mean an awful lot - they might run the software in question but nothing else. When the software in question is the operating system then you're snookered!

Minimum specs don't mean an awful lot - they might run the software in question but nothing else. When the software in question is the operating system then you're snookered!

Most people don't know know how to use their OS and have many wasteful processes, services, applications and features turned on by default. Someone who knows what they are about can configure a machine much better and so it will run on much lower hardware.

Anyways that off the topic. the point is that a spec of Toshiba Satellite U200-115 Is not obsolete or not Vista compatible. That just techno babble. The only thing that makes any logic is that a machine with Vista Licence is easier to sell. But even talking that into consideration as PC World is one of thee most expensive shops around I find it hard to believe you can get a machine there €300-400 cheaper than you can from the web.

Then again I'm a cynic.

The Toshiba U200-115 is Vista capable and you can get a "free" upgrade for about EUR50. Would suggest anyone looking for a good spec notebook check out their local PC World....the cynics can stay at home:) BTW I am not associated with PCW other than a happy customer...who got a bargain.

I'm just jealous really. Its a good price. Toshiba do a free replacement or refund if the laptop fails in the 1st yr, on some models. Dunno if this one is part of that offer.

Most people don't know know how to use their OS and have many wasteful processes, services, applications and features turned on by default. Someone who knows what they are about can configure a machine much better and so it will run on much lower hardware.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/index.html (Indeed...)

Back