Cheapest, smallest, lowest spec notebook

runner

Need to recommend a small PC notebook for use by a Rep. Needs the very minimum spec. as its a small application for collecting data - but needs to be a PC. Know that the Sony models are the best in this area, but I want the cheapest, smallest unit I can get.
Any other suggsted makes/models out there?
R

What do you mean "PC notebook"? Seems like an oxymoron to me. Perhaps you mean a non Mac notebook running Windows or someting?

What do you mean "PC notebook"? Seems like an oxymoron to me. Perhaps you mean a non Mac notebook running Windows or someting?

"PC notebook" - Sounds like an non-literate persons way of describing a laptop....
Not everyone is an expert on Desktops/Laptops ClubMan, maybe that's why runner is asking the question in the first place? :)

Not everyone is an expert on Desktops/Laptops ClubMan, maybe that's why runner is asking the question in the first place? :)

fight, fight, fight........

Runner, if you go for the cheapest, lowest spec one you will spend half your life waiting for the bleeding thing to boot up. Talk to a couple of people who have latops with 512mb and 1gb memory and differeing processors. see how long a low-spec one takes to boot.

PC notebook is in fact a valid phrase.

What does PC stand for in this context ? Personal computer.

What does PC notebook mean ? A personal computer that is in notebook form.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Runner - in laptop terms small is quite often more expensive, so you will find it hard to get one that is small *and* cheap. I can't recommend anything usefull unfortunately since my regular computer buying days (as in supplying an office) are long gone.

z

I agree with zag re: terminology. It's quite clear what the OP was asking. If someone posted here asking for a small notebook (instead of small PC), I know I'd be tempted to suggest some .

As to the question, as zag says, a new small machine will cost. If size is important, a second-hand Flybook or Sony Picturebook could be just what you are looking for. You could try eBay, but might have more luck with a specalist dealer offering new and refurbished machines, such as [broken link removed].

Maybe the original poster can clarify precisely what they meant rather than others attempting to read their mind?

CLUBMAN what does someting mean, please clarify?

Im not a sensitive person Clubman but you do get pedantic at times.
Thanks for all other constructive replies.
R

runner, please look at the posting guidelines about personal attacks on other posters and consider whether you want to edit your post.

I found your original post perfectly clear, in that you want a small PC compatible portable computer (and not a PDA, handheld PC, or a Mac.).

You might also look at the new UMPC machines from various manufacturers.

Thanks, will check the Dunne's one.
The highest priority is least weight, while performance is down the priority list as its just for use as a basic data collection device with email.
R

Thanks, will check the Dunne's one.
The highest priority is least weight, while performance is down the priority list as its just for use as a basic data collection device with email.
R

I bought my Dad a Sony one for Christmas...899 in Peats.
Ended up using it myself last week and found it great. Not sure if 899 or even 700 are what you had in mind?

I would suggest lenovo (ibm-thinkpad), something from the X series, though they are not cheap.
E.G.
They are smaller than A4 and weight starts at 1.22kg (suggested prices these are ex-vat too).

KalEl, what model Sony was that? And for price, dont want to spend more than 1K if can get away with it. Rgfuller, will check out lenovo thanks.
R

Using Notebook is older common use term. The term laptop has in recent become more popular. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop. But notebook was more common in the 80 & 90's IMO.

PC is generally taken to mean IBM compatible PC. As that was convenient and more meaningful term to group all compatible computers. This would exclude Mac's, Amiga's. which weren't compatible. However Apple/IBM/Motorola came up with PowerPC and started using that, and then now we have Apple using IBM compatible hardware. So these days the term has been blurred. It is used quite a lot in Apples marketing I suspect deliberately to put an Apple computer right up there in people consciousness as a valid alternative to a PC (IBM compatible). Which is a different argument, but in many ways any computer which is used for personal computing, even a PDA is a PC.

Perhaps someone with limited IT exposure wouldn't be familar with all this though.

Light and small and inexpensive are unlikely combinations. Usually light and small computers are very expensive. You are probably best looking at a compromise. Which is a 14" laptop of low spec. One option I'd suggest looking at is the Dell 640m, and see if you can pick up a deal on one on the Dell Outlet. I've got them before for €600. For the price they have great battery life. If you get one with a 9 cell battery they can have 7-8hrs battery life. Battery life being important for a travelling salesperson. Note that a DualCore or Core 2 Duo has bettery life than a Celeron, and the smaller the screen, and the slower speed of the laptop the better battery life usually.

Using Notebook is older common use term. The term laptop has in recent become more popular. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laptop. But notebook was more common in the 80 & 90's IMO.

PC is generally taken to mean IBM compatible PC. As that was convenient and more meaningful term to group all compatible computers. This would exclude Mac's, Amiga's. which weren't compatible. However Apple/IBM/Motorola came up with PowerPC and started using that, and then now we have Apple using IBM compatible hardware. So these days the term has been blurred. It is used quite a lot in Apples marketing I suspect deliberately to put an Apple computer right up there in people consciousness as a valid alternative to a PC (IBM compatible). Which is a different argument, but in many ways any computer which is used for personal computing, even a PDA is a PC.

Perhaps someone with limited IT exposure wouldn't be familar with all this though.

Light and small and inexpensive are unlikely combinations. Usually light and small computers are very expensive. You are probably best looking at a compromise. Which is a 14" laptop of low spec. One option I'd suggest looking at is the Dell 640m, and see if you can pick up a deal on one on the Dell Outlet. I've got them before for €600. For the price they have great battery life. If you get one with a 9 cell battery they can have 7-8hrs battery life. Battery life being important for a travelling salesperson. Note that a DualCore or Core 2 Duo has bettery life than a Celeron, and the smaller the screen, and the slower speed of the laptop the better battery life usually.

Laptopsdirect.ie seem to have decent prices. I have not used them myself though.

Thanks Aircobra. I think ive been around too long, need to update my terminology - but anyway we have moved on from definitions and back to OP!
I think ure right that will have to settle for something like the DELL as lighter models cost a lot more.

Back