Cheapest place to buy 80GB iPod?

babydays

Looking for a 80 GB (or more?!) iPod to use as a basis for a home sound system (by plugging into stereo).

Argos has a 80 GB for E369.50 (black) while Pixmania has the same (but white) for E332 (plus postage).

Is there somewhere else I can get a better deal? Is there an alternative system I should be looking at?

Looking for a 80 GB (or more?!) iPod to use as a basis for a home sound system (by plugging into stereo).

Argos has a 80 GB for E369.50 (black) while Pixmania has the same (but white) for E332 (plus postage).

Is there somewhere else I can get a better deal? Is there an alternative system I should be looking at?

The iPod has probably the best range of docks, remotes if you want make it a HiFi. Will you be carrying it around with you some of the time aswell?

USA is the cheapest.

Definitely won't be carrying it around outside of the house. It's solely a way to enable us to get rid of our CDs, which are all by now on the computer in itunes and to enable us to listen to all of the music without having to have the computer on. This therefore ruled out streamers unfortunately. We'll plug it into our existing stereo and therefore can use the v. good speakers that we already have.

Hoping that in several years there will be more options and affordable options regarding listening to music without CDs in the house.

You can buy a HiFi deck that has a Harddrive and can store all your music on it and you can plug in through your existing amp and speaker. You can rip all your CD's on to them. Personally I probably just use a laptop it would be just easier to manage. You'd probably get more info on www.head-fi.org

That's an interesting suggestion. Just haven't seen many of those. Just Googled and came up with this:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/wharfdale-hard-drive+based-hi+fi-system-197635.php. (that model only has 40 GB though).

It's downside seems to be that it's not very easy to nagivate. The reason we're tending towards iPOD is that it has a screen......

Do you by any chance know of any other options. Trying to get my head around the link you sent!!! Thanks a lot will try to get into it.

Or you could do something like this... :)

[broken link removed] were selling the DT-166 small form factor bare bones PC last week for €200 but it's not listed this week. I'd love to build something like that but I'd probably get more fun out of building it than using it... :eek:

aircobra19 -
they both look beautiful but the price tags aren't so!

This is why it looks like I might have to settle for the iPoD solution for now - that wouldcost E360 to hook it up to my current stereo.

Clubman - your first link looks fantastic. That is JUST what I'd like! Will get my not-so-techno- husband to have a look at it.

Clubman - your first link looks fantastic. That is JUST what I'd like! Will get my not-so-techno- husband to have a look at it.
Just to clarify ... it may not be that appropriate for somebody who ideally wants to buy something off the shelf.

Go to the Apple refurb shop
[broken link removed]

they only have nanos at the moment, but had other ipod's there before and I'm sure they will again

Ebay my friend! Ebay!
Can get iPod 80GB for around €285 incl delivery!!

[broken link removed]=

Or, if you're not going to take it outside the house, why not get something like [broken link removed]? 320GB worth of music/photos/movies to play back on your TV or through your stereo system?

DrMoriarty,
how would you select your music on that? Is it through a menu on the TV?

Marty004, Good prices! Have never paid so much for something on ebay would be a little worried about return policies/backup etc....but... might give it a go given the good savings.

DrMoriarty,
how would you select your music on that? Is it through a menu on the TV?
Yup. the link I provided has the full specs. TBH I've not used one myself, so I'm not too sure what happens when playing back audio files through a (presumably 'menu'-less?) stereo system...

DrMoriarty, then I wouldn't be interested in that possibility. Wouldn't want to have to have the TV on to choose music.

Just discovered that Creative Zen also has FM radio on it - very attractive as while my stereo sound quality is excellent the radio is not the best.

Looking at the ebay offers they seem to come as two kinds -
Ipod video 80GB V 2
iPoD Player 6. Gen

does anyone know the difference between V2 and 6. Gen?!

Hi Babydays,
At the moment the iPod video (30Gb and 80Gb) are the 5th generation iPods. There was a slightly improved 5th Generation released a couple of months back - not sure if it was called the 5th Gen V2 - but it is definitely not the 6th Generation one.
Also - as people have already said the cheapest place to get an 80Gb iPod is the US - they work out at €255. You may not be going to the US yourself but you may know someone going - I presume you know that the come in a very small box - so I'm sure if you knew someone going that they wouldn't mind picking you one up!

Rebelman

Back