Cheapest ARF

Duke of Marmalade

A relative is due to purchase an ARF c. €130k. He is looking for a Global Equity Fund. He wants the cheapest all in option. I can’t find any Best ARF on the site. Any tips?

Contact a few execution only brokers and ask them to contact their ARF providers to check what reduced fees they will be willing to offer you.

All the brochures seem very coy on charges. AIB/Irish Life say 1% p.a. Maybe that is good enough. I doubt €130k would have much negotiating power in getting that reduced.

Hi Duke,

For a €130k ARF, it’s very hard to see them getting anything below 1%.

Zurich’s International Equity fund at 1% would be a decent outcome.

Regards,

Gordon

Thanks GG. I just want to feel that I did some exploration before telling him that AIB/Irish Life is an option. I have singled (or is it trebled) out three possible funds
- Indexed Global Equity
- Indexed European Equity
- Property Portfolio
and suggested either a mix of the three or 100% in either of the first two. I am not giving any advice as to their prospects, just presenting a good diversification.
As to Zurich Life I take the view that ex ante there is no difference between firms of this stature (except possibly charges, though not in this case) though I understand that ex post Z has beaten the pants of Irish Life. In any case I am recommending passive investment choices on the equity front.

I’m fairly sure that Aviva offers a range of index funds within an ARF with an AMC of 40bps, plus an annual policy fee of €120.

Perhaps one of our resident brokers would be good enough to confirm.

I’m fairly sure that Aviva offers a range of index funds within an ARF with an AMC of 40bps, plus an annual policy fee of €120.

That’s very competitive.

A great price.

That's €660 per year savings compared to 1%!

Last edited:
@Duke of Marmalade

Your relative can purchase a Zurich Life ARF (min €20,000) with an AMC of 0.75% (and 0.01% Other Ongoing Costs on an Indexed Global Equity Fund) via www.prsa.ie on an execution only basis. OOCs for other funds are disclosed in the Range of Funds document that's issued with the information pack.

There are no exit charges on that particular product so, if something cheaper comes along or they're not happy with the company/service, they can move it without penalty.

Gerard

www.prsa.ie

That’s a pretty good deal Steven.

Is that with 100% allocation from the policyholder’s perspective?
Yes. Any set up costs can be paid by fee or by reducing the allocation rate to cover the set up fees.

That rate is only available on a few of their Vanguard funds and from advisors who get the discounted rates from Standard Life. Otherwise the lowest rate from them is 0.4% for it.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Hi Duke
How this work out for your relative? My wife has similar amount coming up. thanks

Back