Cheaper alternative to gas/oil heating

Builder

Building a new house and with rising oil prices can anyone advise what are the alternatives. I was going to put in underfloor heating using oil, is there an cheaper alternative to the fuel used. Wood pellet stoves, do these just heat the room or can they be used for UFH as well. I think that with Geothermal it will be costly as I live in Donegal which is one of the coldest parts of Ireland.
Are wood pellet stoves available in traditional look or are they all very modern in looks.

Donegal has great wind resources. There are some suppliers of small\micro wind power systems. Perhaps you could explore using such a system to be used for hot water and heating only. This would mean that for your floor heating, a day without wind would not be much of a problem, provided that your system has an adeqate thermal mass- both in terms of heat stored in floor and in heat source( i.e. sufficiently large hot water cylinder).

I don't have any great knowledge of this area, but I would love to hear from anybody out there who does.

Thank you, maybe this is another option. Wood pellet stoves are they just for room heat or can they be used to heat water either for UFH or domestic water

Back