cheap smartphone plans for limited use

wheeler dealer

I must buy 2 smartphones for the kiddies for xmas ,it will be there 1st phone .eldest is 12 and a 11 year old ,Probably get samsung galaxy a? for about 150 euro ,I am on vodafone for 20 euro/month myself but also have fixed line wifi at home which they can use to begin with ,dont think they have much use for them otherwise yet .Just wondering can you get a pay as you go sim plan that you don not have to top up every month so i don not have to fork out 40 euro every month for them

I presume that the phones will be unlocked for use on any network and not locked to a specific network?

With some pay as you go services you buy credit and just use that to pay for calls etc as needed. Some charge a fixed fee each month to cover services (usually "unlimited" calls/texts/data these days with some fair usage limits). Some allow you to pay a monthly fee and skip months when you don't need data/outgoing calls/texts.

Check out all the main carriers (Vodafone, eir, Three) and the virtual operators such as 48, Gomo, Tesco, Virgin Media/Mobile, Lycamobile etc.

There's no way what you should have to pay c. €40 p.m. for this. c. €10+ p.m. and possibly just those months that it's needed should be sufficient.

A lot of kids these days seem to just use data (and the likes of WhatsApp etc. for calls/messages) rather than traditional calls and texts!

Last edited:
Tesco mobile is €15 a month topup for unlimited data, calls, etc.
See Prepay Data Plus on this page - https://www.tescomobile.ie/sim-only-plans.aspx

For yourself.
Gomo is €14.99 a month billpay.
48.ie is €12.99 a month billpay.
48 is not billpay.
It's effectively prepay.
You buy membership each month or whenever you want and that provides calls/texts/data for the month.
They seem to have introduced a setup/SIM activation fee of €12.99 recently.

Virgin are doing €10 p.m. for 12 months for all services but, as far as I know, you have to pay it every month by direct debit, unlike some other options.

48 is not billpay.
It's effectively prepay.
You buy membership each month or whenever you want and that provides calls/texts/data for the month.
They seem to have introduced a setup/SIM activation fee of €12.99 recently.
I stand corrected.

The Virgin offer is billpay, no? It's €10 p/m for a year and then €25 after that. 30 day contract.

Back