Charts for Trend Following ?

S

spreaddosh

Having lurked around this site for long enough, it was time to join up and I begin with a question.

Where can I get online charts for commodity trading ?

I have been reading Mark Shipman and Jim Rogers and want to copy Shipmans charts. I want simple, static end of week charts, with a moving average for various commodities, but any sites I have tried do not fit the bill. I tried ADVFN, Bigcharts, etc

Before I bet some real cash, I want at least to pretend to myself that I know what I'm doing.

Regards,

Jim

Your best bet is tp set up a spreadbetting account and then use a dummy account which they supply to see how you like it.

By setting up a virtual account you will have access to all the charts which provide all the functionality you are looking for.for anything that can be traded on with the company.

Many Thanks Qwertyuiop,

I set up a demo account with Worldspread and have playing all evening with their gold and crude oil charts.

Practice first, then real money

Many Thanks Qwertyuiop,

I set up a demo account with Worldspread and have playing all evening with their gold and crude oil charts.

Practice first, then real money

I assume you are aware how risky is to do trading and that you are against pros?

Do they have the futures long term charts (e.g. covering 1 year or more)?

I assume you are not using spot price graphs to enter/exit the position while you are buying futures (e.g. MAR-08 or JUN-08)?

What makes you confident you can excell this art and beat the pros?
You must be feeling lucky.

Good luck.

Zoran,

You are right.

The Worldspread charts only go back a month and the averages are all over the place.

I rang Worldspread to check it out and they informed me they are updating their software and IT platform, (for little suckers like me ) so it should all be possible in the very near future.

Zoran,

You are right.

The Worldspread charts only go back a month and the averages are all over the place.

I rang Worldspread to check it out and they informed me they are updating their software and IT platform, (for little suckers like me ) so it should all be possible in the very near future.

That is the thing. Futures graphs are also more complicated as there are two different types of charting.
There are a lot of gotchas around it and it is hard to calculate easily the price of owning something through the futures for a long period of time.
I also found they have different prices from spread bettor to spread bettor.

Spread betting is just one more layer of complexity on top of the futures market. And futures market is already so complex and not for individual investors without proper knowledge, strategy and nerves.

Even ETF's that tracking commodity indexes (from biggest investment companies) are suffering from something called contango when they are rolling positions.

I believe all that thing is more for pros (even they are loosing money) but it is your take.

If you opt to try it then at least try paper trading your strategy or back test it first before start putting your money in such risky business.
Also because of such risk do not put more then 5% of your overall investment money (usually called funny money - money for trying are you lucky). Or better try only with the money you can loose (I assume you will protect yourself of loosing more then you have as that is also possible here).

WIth trend following obviosuly differemt people have different buy-sell signals.

E.g. buy when the price is above the x-day/week moving average.
Sell when below the y-day/week moving average.

Generally - does anyone know,do experienced traders that use trend following stick to the same buy-sell signals for everything?

Or do different charts have different 'personalities' (i.e. Volatility) where one buy-sell signal would be more effective than others.

Basically - do people adjust their buy-sell signals depending on what they are buying into?

Is this common practice?

Or do people normally employ the same rules depending on what they are buying into?

Like - at the end of the day,in a nutshell,I presume most trend following systems work pretty well - once the thing they are buying is trending.

Presumably volatiliy is pure randomness depending on teh product.

Th equestion though is - if something traded in a certain volatile way in the past,can we conclude from this that it is more likely(rather than less likely) to trade with teh same personality in the future?
And therefore - entry./exit signals should be adjusted accordingly?

Yahoo finance is a great site, with new charts in beta for trend followers.
You can compare two stocks on one chart over 5 years + max. Just had a look at the chart of an Irish bank, down like a lead balloon!
http://finance.yahoo.com/ First get a quote, then you can get the charts.

I think this website is v. good ..... , will pick out stocks that match certain technical indicators. I'd love love to know what other people think. Does anyone else know any other free websites that give the same info as this, post a response or send me a private message, I would love to hear from someone who is trading sucessfully using technicals

From reading Last Sunday Times Magazine and then the French Bank problems, I am inclined to thread very carefully in spread-betting. There are a lot of big boys out there in the schoolyard.

My plan was to jump on a trend ala Mark Shipman but there is a distinct lack of information on websites in the form I want it. I will keep up my searching and reading, so until then, keep your cash safe.

Remember, the first rule is to not lose money !

Back