Chartered Accountants & CPA Merger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going forward both organisations will need to up skill members in data analysis and sustainability. No netter what the result of the merger proposal - change is inevitable

I have confidence that the profession will adopt. Some of the comments on this thread remind me of the final scenes of "the field" with Richard Harris. The profession has little choice but to adapt.

The boards of both institutes have put their case well to members. They are forward thinking and deserve credit

Again, I would encourage you all (if you haven't done already) to take a look at the websites and social media channels of both institutes.
Lot of buzz words there and empty rhetoric I’m not sure what any of it has to do with the proposed merger or how the merger addresses your concerns.

Anyone adding expertise in data analysis or esg isn’t reliant on the institute to up skill them.

I started with the same question -what advantage does it confer on me?

I think there is an opportunity to create a better and stronger institute. I am happy enough to support the board of the institute.

But it will be up to us all to hold the institute to account. I was impressed with the institutes engagement with members. I would like to see more of this - regardless of the event

I think there is an opportunity to create a better and stronger institute. I am happy enough to support the board of the institute.

But it will be up to us all to hold the institute to account. I was impressed with the institutes engagement with members. I

Last edited:
Let’s just wait for results J

Totally agree.
More information should ins be made available for any possible 2nd round of voting.

The engagement and talk about the future of the profession has been worthwhile in my opinion.

The merger process is nothing but transparent. The CPA qualification like CIMA , ACA and ACCA are all recognised. The boards of both institutes deserve much credit.

If you are unhappy with the Institute- you indeed have the option to opt out

IAASA supervises the profession in this country. They may not have been around when you passed your exams

I would encourage you to contact the IAASA/ACA to provide clarity to you with regards accountancy standards and supervision.
The CPA qualification is NOT recognised by the CAI for exam or exemptions or membership entry, and yet this merger is promoted by the CAI as a great idea. It does not make sense.

Re the MRA I though that as a cpa you could call yourself that worldwide. Can you not do so in the USA? I thought that would makes it easier for members to get in the door worldwide.

Looking at it on the various links it seems nothing has changed, you still have to do exams and apply etc. I was under the impression it was going to be easier if the merger went ahead. Other than if you wanted to be a partner in a firm, that’s always a higher bar and rightly so.

But it will be up to us all to hold the institute to account. I was impressed with the institutes engagement with members. I would like to see more of this - regardless of the event
I'd be more grateful if the CAI was engaging more with members on questions like why is the average salary there more than €100k, and why do they spend €15k A DAY on IT systems

I'd be more grateful if the CAI was engaging more with members on questions like why is the average salary there more than €100k, and why do they spend €15k A DAY on IT systems

What's holding you back from raising these points at the AGM or joining a committee to address them directly?

The uproar over the Pearse Street expenditure is a grievance from nearly 20 years ago. It's perplexing to see that the loudest complaints come from commenters who appear to be either retired or semi retired but during the pivotal mid-2000s—when these decisions were made, when the site was bought and construction kicked off in 2008, you were the active members, the decision-makers. Why wait nearly two decades to express this selective outrage?

The replies on here and sudden indignation now, after all these years, exemplifies a quintessential 'Boomer mentality'— squander your inheritance, yet leaving a legacy of debt for future generations, all while basking in self-righteousness. It's a stark reminder of opportunities missed to safeguard values you now claim to hold dear. It's time to move beyond patting yourself on the back and face the responsibilities neglected. If you've no skin in the game then stand aside and allow future generations address the legacy of debt left behind and and forge a path forward, rather than dwell on bygone decisions.

Last edited:
In fairness to the board - they comprehensively answered queries and concerns raised in this thread.
I would again refer people to the Institute's' social media channels and websites.
I put several additional questions myself after the meeting. I got satisfactory explanations.
The profession has to adapt & change.
The merger is an opportunity to create a stronger and better organisation.
No matter the result - the world will keep turning & change will happen.
Accountancy has come a long way & AI is already a game changer.
Veteran members must think of the future and younger members & not be narrow-minded.
I believe the current board of the institute deserve support.
Well done to past board members and educators who have contributed to the discussion.
I even have re-connected with some of them.

The profession has to adapt & change.
The merger is an opportunity to create a stronger and better organisation.
No matter the result - the world will keep turning & change will happen.
Accountancy has come a long way & AI is already a game changer.
Veteran members must think of the future and younger members & not be narrow-minded.
I believe the current board of the institute deserve support.
Well done to past board members and educators who have contributed to the discussion.
I even have re-connected with some of them.

With respect, that’s just generic fluff and a rehash of the Institute spoof.

It comes across as Pravda-esque and you come across an an Institute plant.

I agree with Gordon. If you are not an Institite plant then you should be! Everything youve sprayed out here is bull and only serves to galvanise my No vote.

It comes across as Pravda-esque and you come across an an Institute plant.
I hope you don't mind - but I am going to ignore your comments. Pretty telling of where the no argument is.

If anyone is unclear with regards the merger proposal- there is comprehensive information on the institutes website and social media channels.

The board, past board members and educators all endorsed the proposal. People with an actual track record with regards the profession.

I hope veteran institute members will consider younger members with regards to this proposal

The profession is changing. We need to.afopt to the changes that are facing the profession. We have an opportunity to create a better and bigger institute.

I was in the accounts department last week of a major Irish company. It had a small number of staff. This was before any application of AI .

The world has changed but so too must the accountancy profession. We cannot stand still but we have the opportunity to merge with the only other professional accountancy institute.

Well done to the board proceeding with the proposal. They have shown leadership and vision. I am confident with regards the future of the profession.

I hope you don't mind - but I am going to ignore your comments. Pretty telling of where the no argument is.

If anyone is unclear with regards the merger proposal- there is comprehensive information on the institutes website and social media channels.

The board, past board members and educators all endorsed the proposal. People with an actual track record with regards the profession.

I hope veteran institute members will consider younger members with regards to this proposal

The profession is changing. We need to.afopt to the changes that are facing the profession. We have an opportunity to create a better and bigger institute.

I was in the accounts department last week of a major Irish company. It had a small number of staff. This was before any application of AI .

The world has changed but so too must the accountancy profession. We cannot stand still but we have the opportunity to merge with the only other professional accountancy institute.

Well done to the board proceeding with the proposal. They have shown leadership and vision. I am confident with regards the future of the profession.

The above is either trolling or spoof.

The educators care so much about the CPA qualification and know so much about it that heretofore they’ve given it zero status or recognition in terms of someone looking to become an ACA/FCA!

This is all a ruse to pay for the €58m white elephant that is Chartered Accountants House and to continue to overpay CAI employees to the tune of €100k per annum on average.

Allowing an inferior qualification in the back door to pay the bills isn’t the answer. Worst case scenario, collaborate with the CPAs but don’t give them equivalence or the right to call themselves ACAs/FCAs. They haven’t earned it!

The above is either trolling or spoof.

The educators care so much about the CPA qualification and know so much about it that heretofore they’ve given it zero status or recognition in terms of someone looking to become an ACA/FCA!

This is all a ruse to pay for the €58m white elephant that is Chartered Accountants House and to continue to overpay CAI employees to the tune of €100k per annum on average.
Pooling resources will be of benefit to the institute.

I would again refer you to the website and social media channels of the institute where people with a track record of professional accountancy education have endorsed the merger proposal.

I would also encourage any member with any questions to attend the scheduled meeting.

Pooling resources will be of benefit to the institute.

I would again refer you to the website and social media channels of the institute where people with a track record of professional accountancy education have endorsed the merger proposal.

I would also encourage any member with any questions to attend the scheduled meeting.
Surely the way the voting is being conducted means the decision has already been made in advance of the meeting?

There will be a 2nd round of voting .
There is no second round of voting.

If the proposal is approved tomorrow there will be at a later stage, a meeting of each institute to ratify bye-laws and constitutional changes respectively.

It is envisaged that Chartered Accountants Ireland and CPA Ireland will hold further meetings of their members later in the year. This will allow the members of Chartered Accountants Ireland to approve necessary bye-laws and members of CPA Ireland to approve the legal steps for effecting the amalgamation and certain changes to the constitution of CPA Ireland to facilitate the amalgamation.

I see they got a mra in 2022.

We are not reinventing the wheel here. Accountancy institute mergers are not breaking any new ground. Mutual recognition agreements & pooling resources will indeed be a massive benefit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back