Chartered Accountants & CPA Merger

It's a bit like the Catholic Church. You continue to be a member until you actually tell them to take you off their list.

But unlike the Catholic Church, if you stop paying your annual sub, they will eventually expel you. But they might try to collect the sub for the period up to expulsion.

I worked hard to get my ACA. I was a bit reluctant to resign. But when I see the messing in this thread, I can laugh out loud without feeling frustrated.

Brendan

Every organization have retired member rates. Shocking that CAI does not. We get up to 100% exemption of the fees based on income (in Canada).

If i decided to stop paying the annual ransom..and as a consequence icai banished me to the wilderness.. id still consider myself a CA. I have earned it.

As mentioned earlier though i dont work anymore as a CA and i dont "pass myself off" as a CA but i still consider myself a CA and rightly so.

Ironically, of all the bills in my life, the two that irritate me the most are my TV licence and my CAI subscription.

Genuinely, motor tax, home insurance, anything…bang…pay it and move on.

But those two I moan and give out about.

My issue is that they charge a high annual fee and they threaten you with expulsion if you dont pay it even though youve worked hard, passed exams and earned your qualification. All the while, you get no value for that fee, its used to just prop up an organisation that pays big salaries.

Unlike rte, where to goverment can, and are reprimanding them, there doesnt seem to be any organisation to hold the icai to account.

The media should highlight this.

My issue is that they charge a high annual fee and they threaten you with expulsion if you dont pay it even though youve worked hard, passed exams and earned your qualification. All the while, you get no value for that fee, its used to just prop up an organisation that pays big salaries.

Unlike rte, where to goverment can, and are reprimanding them, there doesnt seem to be any organisation to hold the icai to account.

I totally agree. This should be of interest to a business journalist.

Having now had a proper look at the 2022 annual report, I am going to pay a lot more attention to the next AGM, due in ApriI, think.
I want to know why we're held to ransom for the highest membership fee of all professional bodies (and by we, I mean the people like us who pay for it ourselves), and the average staff cost in CAI is over €100k and they're spending €15k PER DAY on IT systems.

At this point CAI should already know if they have the mandate to move forward. If they have a margin of more than 2-3000 votes onlinein favour of the amalgamation, it will be very difficult to catch up on the no side given that it is during business hours and not many would take time off work to go to the in person meeting. The largest CAI can accommodate is about 600 people. Watch for actions taken in the next few days and this will probably indicate the results (my guess).

I’m not sure the public will be too sympathetic to chartered accountants as a cohort, we are well paid professionals, and most people don’t even pay their own subs anyway .

I’m not sure the public will be too sympathetic to chartered accountants as a cohort, we are well paid professionals, and most people don’t even pay their own subs anyway .
I agree. But it isnt about garnering public sympathy. Its about holiding icai mismanagement to account.

The management and finances of icai should be examined. Their source of revenue is us, the members. Their expenses seem out of control.

Last edited:
One organisation should bring benefits. One is certified and another chartered. Having one organisation will shake up both organisations. The numbers studying accountancy is dropping. Combining two organisations should bring efficiency

The accountancy professional needs to adopt and deliver for clients. It is inconsequential if someone is an accountant by charter by the queen or certified. It is beyond pityful when people are looking for relevance from a set of exams that they did 30 years ago. Both bodies are equivalent to a degree. AI is a game changer. There will have to be synergies from the amalgamation. The profession has to move forward. There is no point in any organisation living in the past.

There should not be any bad feelings of what was said once the votes are counted and result known. At the end of the day, we are all from the same profession. This campaign for support will end in 5 days. All the best.....anyone taking bets? LOL Is there any certainty on the outcome? CPA needs 75% and ACA need 50% +1. (per andymc)

It is hard to gauge the mood and turnout from both associations. Having 2 associations on a small island makes little sense. Duplication and competition for students is pointless.

The profession faces major challenges going forward including AI and small business closures.

If there is a yes vote - I think it will create a more relevant association. If there is a no vote - I think the engagement with members was of benefit.

Much more of that is needed going forward.

Predictions?

Hard to know.

The accountancy professional needs to adopt and deliver for clients. It is inconsequential if someone is an accountant by charter by the queen or certified. It is beyond pityful when people are looking for relevance from a set of exams that they did 30 years ago. Both bodies are equivalent to a degree. AI is a game changer. There will have to be synergies from the amalgamation. The profession has to move forward. There is no point in any organisation living in the past.

a) They’re not equivalent to a degree.

b) It’s natural for people to value what they’ve achieved and not want to see it given out like confetti.

The ACA is open to anybody. If people want In it’s three sets of exams, I don’t agree with your point on AI why is the legal profession so regulated? Should we de regulate that too?
a) They’re not equivalent to a degree.

b) It’s natural for people to value what they’ve achieved and not want to see it given out like confetti.

On the national qualifications framework, ACA is equivalent to a masters. I cannot find CPA on there.

Just a point of correction, membership if the ACA is not equivalent to a masters degree. Membership of ACA, CPA or ACCA are degree level qualifications

If you phone your accountancy institute or QQI - they will clarify that for you.

"Professional qualification of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants Ireland - QSearch" https://qsearch.qqi.ie/WebPart/RecognitionDetails?recognitionCode=533

Nobody is suggesting changes in the regulation of the profession.

Backwards thinking achieves little. Becoming the largest professional body on the island should indeed bring benefits

I have no doubt synergies can be achieved. Then again, I live for the present and future and not in the past

Back