Charitable contributions refund.

DirectDevil

If I donate over €250 to a charity registered with Revenue they [charity] get a top up if I also send them the relevant CHY form.

Am I entitled subsequently to ask Revenue to tell me who applied for a refund under the scheme against my PPS number ?

My question arises from a bit of a Miss Marple job that I am doing for an elderly relative. He sent a donation of €250 and a CHY4 form to a charity. The charity shows as registered with Revenue for CHY scheme purposes. There was no acknowledgement. I am a little suspicious as to whether the funds may have been misappropriated. If I can get Revenue confirmation that the charity actually applied for reimbursement that should be corroborative evidence that all is in order. If no application to Revenue was made by the charity I [my relative] then have a basis to open correspondence with the charity.

I would agree. I do think its a good idea to chase this up if you have any suspicions, but I would go directly to the charity.

I think some charities claim the money back for the whole year in one go and you would have no way of knowing when they do this, so there could be a delay between giving the money and the Revenue clawback.

In answer to your question, I have no idea if Revenue keep records in this level of detail. All they have to do it confirm that the donor paid PAYE, so they would have no reason to keep a record on the charity clawback attached to the record of the taxpayer.

Revenue are highly aware of their responsibilities under data protection law and never ever divulge the particulars of tax refunds or other claims made by a taxpayer to a third party, unless the taxpayer has specifically authorised them to do so.

So they won't divulge anything to you about the charity's tax affairs.

Last edited:
Some charities are run by voluntary boards and these can be slow to file accounts, then they rely on the volunteer to send out the forms to the donors. If the donor returns the form AND is a tax payer, then the charity get an uplift on the donation from Revenue. If the donor is not a taxpayer, there is no uplift.

Back