Charges for credit card payments excessive

Kimmagegirl

I logged on to pay this year's LPT by credit card to be told just before payment that there would be a 1.1% credit card payment charge. In my case this fee came to €15. Pretty excessive I would have thought. Now I will pay by once off DD payment and they won't get their funds until 21st March.

I logged on to pay this year's LPT by credit card to be told just before payment that there would be a 1.1% credit card payment charge. In my case this fee came to €15. Pretty excessive I would have thought. Now I will pay by once off DD payment and they won't get their funds until 21st March.

Not exactly Revenue's fault - they just pass on the cost of he CC payment which as a taxpayer actually appreciate, given there are no-cost options available. The 1.1% is how CC companies make money.

Maybe a flat €3 charge or something more reasonable rather than charge it on a percentage basis. It costs the same amount to process each transaction.
Many companies can charge a flat fee, many companies charge no fee. Why can't the Revenue negotiate a better deal for their customers rather than just "pass on the cost"?

I paid by Visa Debit in mid Nov for 2015 for 3 properties.........no charge for a debit card. I provided an email address and ticked the box to receive a receipt by email, however, no email receipt received.

Maybe a flat €3 charge or something more reasonable rather than charge it on a percentage basis. It costs the same amount to process each transaction.
Many companies can charge a flat fee, many companies charge no fee. Why can't the Revenue negotiate a better deal for their customers rather than just "pass on the cost"?

For credit cards, it is usually not a transaction fee, but a percentage cost to process transactions (different for debit cards).
1.1% is I think actually quite reasonable for credit card payments given the charges can be up to 3%.
I don't think it is good use of Revenue's time to negotiate better deals with CC providers given the rate is already quite low and there are about half a dozen other payment methods that do not incur any extra charges.
Also the average Irish property falls in the 150K-200K band, which means a LPT of 315 Euro which would incur about 3,45 Euro in transaction costs. Certainly less than a ticketmaster booking fee.

Ryanair - just as an example - charges 2% when using credit cards:
See

"Bookings paid for by credit card or a Mastercard Prepaid card will incur a fee of 2% of the total transaction value."

Back