Charged (Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003) alcohol consumption within 100m of offlicence

Re: Charged (Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003) alcohol consumption within 100m of offlice

"with the licensee's privity or consent"

The Off-licence are unlikely to be successfully prosecuted - as they did not consent to the OP drinking.

But surely they were privy to such activity?

Re: Charged (Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003) alcohol consumption within 100m of offlice

But surely they were privy to such activity?

I wouldn't think so - I take privity in the context above to mean that tacit consent (possibly through non-action):

From Dictionary.com:
2. participation in the knowledge of something private or secret, esp. as implying concurrence or consent.

So if the guy on till in the Off-licence didn't see anyone opening up bottles, and not just because he intentionally looked away - they should get off.

Also if it were a once off occurence then it would be difficult to prove privity.

I could be wrong - it's not my field of expertise.

I could be wrong - it's not my field of expertise.

Indeed-nor is it mine. If the off-licence owner has been charged let him or his solicitor worry about it.............

Thanks everybody. I bit the bullet and asked a lecturer. He assured he that hes heard a lot worse and offered me a reference if I need it! Hes surprised that we're actually being brought to court over this. He believes that we'll get a small fine and s1(1) of the Probation Act will be applied which means its not registered as a conviction so our records will be clean. As far as hes concerned, its no more serious than a parking fine so we have no need to worry as long as we turn up and be contrite. Which is a HUGE relief.

As regards distance - we were approx 10m from the off-licence so thats really not an issue, we were definately within the 100m.

Thanks everyone for your comments, it was much appreciated. I've learnt a lesson the hard way! We'll be waiting until we're safely home in future...

Exactly... as Superman says.... the off licence is very unlikely to have given their consent for the students to drink outside, not were they likely to know that that would happen, I'd be very surprised if they were successfully prosecuted on that charge.

Off licences would have to ask for verbal or written assurances from every customer that they didn't intend to drink within 100 yrds if the above off licence is successfully prosecuted.

The only way the off licence can avoid being prosecuted under that law would be to not sell to anybody... lest they go outside and crack open a bottle, seems a little silly...

I suppose the point is that the off licence may have been 'privy' but only AFTER the event... and what can they do then??? They can't unsell the drink, nor can they interfere with the purchasers lest they be charged themselves with assualt, or something else....

Joe

Exactly... as Superman says.... the off licence is very unlikely to have given their consent for the students to drink outside, not were they likely to know that that would happen, I'd be very surprised if they were successfully prosecuted on that charge.
A few off licenses that I've been in recently have been displaying signs stating clearly that public consumption of alcohol sold on the premises within 100M (?) of the premises is illegal.

As regards distance - we were approx 10m from the off-licence so thats really not an issue, we were definately within the 100m.

Well, say you were speeding at 250 kmh in a 50 kmh zone, it's obvious to anybody that you were speeding but unless there is a measurement of your speed that isn't simply someones opinion you can't be charged with speeding, but you will be charged with dangerous driving as that seems to allow a subjective assesment.

Now it's obvious that you were within 100 meters of the off licence but if you were 95 meters away you'd agree that a measurement was necessary... so why not for 10 meters?

This defence would never work... because you're not a big time criminal with a big time lawyer... it may work if anybody has got off this specific charge in a court of record (not the district court) because of a non measurement which is very unlikely. I say this defence won't work because the judge will likely say 'sure, a measurement isn't required here, it's obvious' but a big time lawyer would say 'why is it not required, can this Garda measure distances with his eyes?' etc etc etc... The act doesn't seem to mention how the 100 meters is determined... It shouldn't go against you to raise this issue but in the real world it likely will....

just plead 'guilty' is my non professional advice...

Did the guard take your bottle as evidence? If not, how can he prove beyond doubt that you consumed any alcohol?

As long as you live more than 100M from the off-licence!:p
Not unless they live on the street or in a property owned or controlled by the off license - see [broken link removed]:
17.—(1) In this section "place" means—

(a) any premises (other than the licensed premises of a licensee) owned or controlled by the licensee or used with the licensee's permission, and

(b) any public place.

(2) A licensee is guilty of an offence if, with the licensee's privity or consent, intoxicating liquor supplied by the licensee in a closed container for consumption off the premises is consumed in a place which is within 100 metres of those premises.

Have you thought about approaching the Gardai and give him the really aplogetic line and tell him about your fears regarding a criminal conviction. I think they generally are sympathetic to people who were only making an eejit of themselves.

I know I made an official complaint about someone who subsequently had to appear in court and a few weeks beforehand the guard approached me to tell me the sorry tale and that he would be asking for leniency - I was happy enough to allow a donation to the poor box. Unless you were particularly offensive on the night in question I'd imagine you will get a fair pre-trail hearing :)-) as the cop himself has almost certainly done teh same thing himself in Templemore

Roy

Hi everyone, just a quick update. Thanks for all your help. I indeed went to the Guard in question but he wasn’t budging – apparently he’s known for sticking to the letter of the law.

It finally came to court last week. The prosecuting guard (not the guard who actually stopped us) asked for them to be struck out. The judge pretty much laughed at the whole thing and told one of my friends that if she was going to do it again, at least make sure that shes more than 100m from an off-licence.

I’ve no idea what actually happened to the off-licence but if I find out I’ll pass it on.

Once again, thank you everyone for your help. I’m glad the whole thing is finally over. I can guarantee I’ll never be doing that again!!!

go find the guard that caught you and explain you are sorry for wasting his time, often these things don't go any further they are just frightners.
Secondly, i would ask where the summons will be posted? you did give your rental accomodation address? please say you did.

go find the guard that caught you and explain you are sorry for wasting his time, often these things don't go any further they are just frightners.
Secondly, i would ask where the summons will be posted? you did give your rental accomodation address? please say you did.
nelly, did you actually read any of the responses?

(5) Any person who consumes any intoxicating liquor supplied by the licensee in a closed container for consumption off the licensed premises in a place which is within 100 metres of those premises is guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €300.

I'm not a solicitor/barrister but I imagine that an intelligent/expensive one could find sone loophole/defence and dissect the wording of the act, here are my ideas.

1. while you had the container open but you did not "consume" any liquid, if some was missing it was due to an error in the manufacturing process

2. you did not but get the container in that particular off licence

3. you did get the container in that off-licence but you and the licencee can agree that you shop-lifted it, and thus it was not "supplied by the licensee" within the meaning of the act? naturally as the shop-lifting angle would also save the licensee a fine he would not pursue you on charges for that

4. find out where the 100m begins, is it from the door of the off-licence? what if it has 2 doors, or if the intoxicating liquor licence also covers a hotel/bar (eg. the next-door franchise) could the 100m be measure from some central point within the complex and thus put you in a clear zone?

Would 1,2 and 3 invlove lying to either the Gardai or the Courts?

I don't know, they are just ideas, they could all potentially be true

I don't know, they are just ideas, they could all potentially be true

Not based on the facts as outlined by the original poster.

People aren't required to prosecute themselves, nor are they required to provide a defence by not staying silent... the State is supposed to provide evidence that the crime was committed. The Gardai collect evidence and send it to the DPP and he decides whether a conviction is likely and hence whether to go ahead or not.

So, in my view, the State has to show that the drink was consumed... they may do this by the Guard saying he saw you drink it. That should be sufficent. If the Guard just happened to see you holding an open container (as probably happened) I believe the Guard would swear, under oath, that he actually saw you drink it rather than let the case fall through. In other words I believe the Guards don't worry about 'little' details or 'white' lies.
You shouldn't be penalized by requiring the State to prove you consumed it but in the real world you probably will be, unfairly in my view. I believe the word 'consumed' means 'consumed' and not merely 'opened'...

The Guards would also have to show you bought the drink in the off licence mentioned, you could keep quite, not admit it, and require them to 'prove' it... how will they do this? Only a receipt or the licensee appearing in court would do the trick, neither of these is likely to happen. Again I believe the Guard will swear he saw you buy it, whether or not this is true. The Guard doesn't want to appear to be a muppet.

And there is also the issue of the 100m, how was it measured??? Don't forget, the State has to 'prove' you were within 100m... if your solicitor required this proof how would the state provide it... The Guard simply standing there saying 'Sure, he was within 100m' is ridiculous in my view and evidence like that wouldn't be used to prosecute drug lords for example.

I have experience of charges in the courts in which I was unfairly treated... I appealed and appealed until the state choose not to contest the case any further... all convictions overturned.... but the judges and Gardai were happy to have convicted me in the first instance even though they knew that they hadn't proved the case against me... they were hoping I would do what many people do and simply accept it.... no way Hose.

Emm... guys, thanks for your responses but its all already over.
The guards asked for it to be struck out.

Thanks anyway!

Back