Charged interest if miss purchase date

CarrieB

i was wondering if anyone had heard or experienced being charged interest by builder's solicitors if you miss the purchase date for a house by a day or 2??
we are in this position and our solicitor has said the builder's solicitor are notorious for charging interest if late signing.Can they do it if a day or 2 late?
the funds are there,just waiting on cheque to clear our solicitors account.

Yes, they can, as long as it says so in the contract-your solicitor should be able to tell you.

technically if its in the contracts they can, however most builders just use it to hurry people up in closing. i was threatened with it but they didnt bother charging me in the end.

yes i was thinking that aswell,scare tactic.was just talking to my solicitor and he says it should be fine because our funds are there but just waiting to clear.

Yes, the builder is entitled to charge interest if the purchase monies are not received by him by the closing date as stated in the Contract - that is why there is a closing date inserted and a rate of interest. If you are jsut 1 or 2 days late then the interest would be small but I am just wondering - why the money is in the Solicitors client account waiting to be cleared at this late stage - surely you and your solicitor knew the closing date and requested your money a week or two before the closing date in readiness?

Back