Charged €7k for a house sale - too much?

How did the solicitor take the job in the first place if no Engagement Letter was signed?

Surely costs were covered-off at that point?

i.e. when AML documents etc were provided.

How did the solicitor take the job in the first place if no Engagement Letter was signed?

Surely costs were covered-off at that point?

i.e. when AML documents etc were provided.
The Section 68 letter is essentially a form of Engagement Letter, or approximates thereto. In theory, it's supposed indeed to cover off agreement on fees but in practice this can be worded in terms so loose as to be almost meaningless.

That really is no excuse for you not to ask. How long does it take to ask for an estimate?

Brendan
As far as I know, and I may be wrong, there is a very good excuse for you not to ask; the solicitors legal obligation to provide you in advance with an estimate of costs. It is called a section 68 letter.

So what to do now. Write to the solicitor and point out that you are unhappy with the level of the fee charged, and that you are considering a complaint to the Law Society especially as no prior indication was given of the level of fee to be charged

The OP has created much interest.....he's keeping us in suspense here!

Time for the popcorn alright, Jimmy. Who'd have thought legal bills could generate such excitement?

On a serious note, your commentary/hypothesis seems absolutely on the money to me but, hey, I've been wrong before!!:rolleyes:

My other guess is that Fistophobia will keep us waiting and waiting!

Last edited:
I got a section 68 letter today (not conveyancing).

Basically it says "we will probably charge €X plus VAT for the requested service but may charge more if we need to."

I have noticed that sometimes you (plural) go a bit too far into the finer points here when someone is just looking for some simple advice or practical examples that may be of use.

The op just wants to know what you guys may have paid for a similar service so he can compare. He doesn't need to be told off for not asking beforehand what the price was and I doubt he cares exactly what a section 68 or section 150 (which is what I usually receive regarding fee structure) is.

I appreciate the help and knowledge that you lads share, but sometimes when a simple lay person like me asks a simple question, all that's needed is a simple answer. Just some constructive criticism for the board. Don't get insulted please.

The op just wants to know what you guys may have paid for a similar service so he can compare.
But it's apples and oranges if people aren't breaking out folio costs, land registry, stamp duty, etc.

FWIW in 2013 I got a flat-rate conveyancing of €700 plus VAT but those days are over.

But it's apples and oranges if people aren't breaking out folio costs, land registry, stamp duty, etc.

FWIW in 2013 I got a flat-rate conveyancing of €700 plus VAT but those days are over.
I’ve posted solicitors that are doing it for 1000 + 1300 plus outlay in 2023

Just went back on my files there to be a little more specific.

1 purchase in 2021 - €1,750 for professional fee's plus outlay.
2 purchases in 2022 - both €1,500 for professional fee's plus outlay.

Key message here is that it pays to shop around, some solicitors charge a % fee, some a fixed fee.

OP needs to provide a breakdown of :

1. Professional fee
2. VAT @ 23%
3. Outlays incurred. This might , for instance, include Architect's fees to certify works, LPT payments made on the client's behalf etc.,etc.

Without an actual breakdown, responses are supposition only.

mf

Hold on people...I have a life offline also.
They charged 1% plus VAT, other search, folio fees.
I got no S68 form in advance.
I should have checked before giving them business, as now its too late.

Hold on people...I have a life offline also.
They charged 1% plus VAT, other search, folio fees.
I should have checked before giving them business, as now its too late.
You should definitely complain to them on this ground - it is a basic legal requirement - and use it if possible as as basis for negotiating a discount.

Good luck with it.

I always believed that was the mot probable position based on your OP.

The fixed 1% is a nonsense.

The link provided on page 1 gives you the info you need to prepare for your "discussion" regarding fees.

Back