Chargeback Request

fieldfare

I've recently submitted a chargeback request on a BOI credit card, which has been rejected. It relates to a taxi prebooked and paid for online with Booking.com, which never turned up at airport when we arrived. Just received a brief email from BOI today stating "As per merchant terms and conditions Ch must cancel within 4hours of pickup but not cancelled within the time." The email was from [email protected].

Before contacting BOI, I had contacted Booking.com on the day at the airport after waiting 40 minutes for taxi, requesting refund. They said they had to investigate and would reply in 14 working days. No replay received, hence chargeback request. Supplied multiple documents to BOI. Their reply makes no sense, as I made contact with Booking.com within 4 hours and provided the email received from Booking.com verifying this.

I've been on the phone 3 times to BOI and seem to be getting fobbed off each time. Any advice appreciated on getting refund.

What reason did you give on the form for chargeback ? Did you not say service not received ? It seems they are disputing your claim that they didn't turn up or is the condition added to the taxi T&C ?.

Reason for chargeback - Service not received

Only feedback is that given above. I provided BOI and Booking.com with i) receipt for replacement taxi we used and ii) email transcript of conversation with Booking.com that occurred while waiting at airport.

Checked T&C for Booking.com and there is no mention of 4 hours anywhere.

Contact BOI and state that you want to make a formal complaint under their internal complaints policy. If your complaint is not dealt with to your satisfaction after the allowed time frame, (probably 1 month) then make a complaint to the financial regulator. You could also do the same process with booking.com.

I don't know is this a common attitude in the banks - if the business fights back at all then refuse the chargeback.

I had an experience with AIB, where I was charged more than quoted by Patreon (they don't quote VAT correctly and admitted the wrong price was a "visual glitch"). AIB initially gave me the chargeback but then rolled it back again because Patreon spammed them with nonsense screenshots about their terms and conditions that I signed up to when I registered an account.

I think the bank reps will just make their own lives easier and accept what they're told but default to the business side just to close out the call and move onto the next. If it's a genuine case and it's valuable enough, they'll assume someone will complain more loudly and it's some other staffer's problem.

In my case, I let it go but both Patreon and AIB really peed me off with their handling of the case.

Update: Contacted Booking.com again and received email today from them that I will be refunded in the next 3-5 days.

Had my 5th phone call with BOI today regarding matter and chargeback request is on hold pending refund completion. BOI staff were courteous and timely with callbacks, but they were a third party between me and the department addressing chargeback.

Observations on experience:
- BOI online chargeback request form was very clear and easy to use
- Response from BOI did not allow email or online interaction. Only phone communication possible and this was with an intermediary, which slows down the resolution process. The process also did not allow an online upload of requested additional documents (but required postal mail).
- The initial rejection of my chargeback request was incorrect as the reason given was invalid, hence follow-up phonecalls needed
- Wrt Booking.com, having contacted them online quickly when the taxi didnt show was important in obtaining documentation required for refund request
- Minimise prepaying for services!

I don't know is this a common attitude in the banks - if the business fights back at all then refuse the chargeback.
My personal experience is the opposite. My card has been with Ulster for the last number of years and the twice I needed a chargeback, they just straight refunded me and wouldn't talk about a chargeback.

Back